Old October 18th 03, 07:21 AM
Michael Herron

Default Question about Icom PS15 power supply

I have an older Icom PS15 power supply. I understand that when you use it
with a 706 which I am using, or any of the newer radios designed for it, it
should not turn on until the on button on the radio is pushed. This one,
when used with the 706, seems to turn on when it is connected to the radio
whether the on button is pushed or not. The light comes on and it is running
as soon as the power cable is connected to the radio. Is this normal with
this radio? I may try my 746 and see what happens with it as well. Could
there be a component in the supply that has gone bad causing this? When I
first got the supply, there was a switch added to it to turn it on/off
manually. Perhaps this is why it was added. I took the switch out and
returned it to the original configuration according to the schematic. Any
input would be much appreciated. Mike, K7MH.

Old October 18th 03, 04:18 PM
Michael Herron

I have noticed that the newer icom power supplies do have an on/off switch
so I suspect that the radios do not turn the power supplies on/off like some
of them used to, is this a correct assumption?

Old October 19th 03, 09:49 PM
Fred McKenzie

I have an older Icom PS15 power supply. I understand that when you use it
with a 706 which I am using, or any of the newer radios designed for it, it
should not turn on until the on button on the radio is pushed. This one,
when used with the 706, seems to turn on when it is connected to the radio
whether the on button is pushed or not.

Michael-

This may not be the same as an old Kenwood power supply made back in the 70s
for use with the TS-120S transceiver. That transceiver had an extra set of
contacts on its power switch, that were wired through the power connector. The
power supply (PS-30?) had a hard-wired cable with a pair of wires connected
across its internal switch. Either the switch on the power supply or the one
in the TS-120S would turn it on, as I recall. If you only turned on the power
supply's switch, the TS-120S wouldn't come on until its switch was also turned
on.

Many modern transceivers, including both Kenwood and Icom, use the same
connector as the old TS-120S, but there are two pins not used. If you used the
modern transceiver with the old Kenwood power supply, the transceiver's power
switch only switches the 12 volt line.

Does this discussion relate to the PS-15? If it has all six wires present in
its connector, then it may be the same. If two are missing, then it may have
some kind of sensor that detects a load and applies full power. If so, that
circuit may be malfunctioning in yours.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old October 20th 03, 03:35 AM
Ralph Mowery

[...]

The 706 does not have a true on/off switch as such. The power is connected
all the time and the on/off switch only turns a switching circuit off and on
sort of like the way the ATX computers power supplies work. Several of the
newer rigs are this way.