Old March 24th 12, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Anyone out there that can help me troubleshoot this?

I have a Sony CRF-5090 Earth Orbiter. The thing sounds fantastic, and on the
bands that work (FM/AIR/SW3,4,5) it's very VERY sensitive and has better
than average selectivity. The problem is, it doesn't work on LW/MW/SW1. I've
tracked it down to the oscillator being dead on those bands. What I can't
seem to track down is why. I've got the service manual, and the schematic is
no problem to read, but the actual switches not so much. At least one of
them seems not to connect to anything at all. Has anyone ever had this sort
of problem with this radio and can help me figure out what's going on?

TIA

Old March 24th 12, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/24/2012 9:27 AM, Brenda Ann wrote:
I have a Sony CRF-5090 Earth Orbiter. The thing sounds fantastic,
and on the bands that work (FM/AIR/SW3,4,5) it's very VERY sensitive
and has better than average selectivity. The problem is, it doesn't
work on LW/MW/SW1. I've tracked it down to the oscillator being dead
on those bands. What I can't seem to track down is why. I've got the
service manual, and the schematic is no problem to read, but the
actual switches not so much. At least one of them seems not to
connect to anything at all. Has anyone ever had this sort of problem
with this radio and can help me figure out what's going on?

TIA

I have no experience with that set, but about 60 per cent. of the
time, a capacitor is at fault in older radios that have stopped
working. It shouldn't be difficult to replace every capacitor that
is only in the oscillator circuit on those bands. Another thing to
try is to check continuity of all visible band switch contacts, even
if you don't know how they're wired.

Best of luck,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--
http://nationalvanguard.org/
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/
Old March 24th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That sounds like a toughie. I had an RCA CRT tee vee set I bought new in October nineteen nienty nine. A few years ago whenever I tried to turn it on, it would make a bump noise but no picture, no nothing. When I moved that tee vee set I saw some stuff under there as though some gooey stuff had leaked out. Maybe some capacitors had leaked? I gave that tee vee set to the Goodwill store.
Old March 24th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Google, or wuteber,,,,, Sony CRF fifty nine (mah keyboard is screwed up right now) Earth Orbiter Radio. Ah whole heap of stuff there.