Old September 21st 03, 08:41 PM
Roger Halstead

Default Van Gorden Balun

I was laying out the wire to cut a 160 meter fan dipole when I
discovered I have no information on the balun I dug out of the drawer.
As it's a new balun I probably have the information sheet *somewhere*

It's a Van Gorden Engineering Hi-Q 1:1 Balun.
I know they are relatively inexpensive, but what I need is the
frequency range and power handling capability.

I've spent over an hour doing searches and aparently didn't hit the
right combination.

Roger (K8RI)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
Old September 21st 03, 09:21 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

According to the AES catalog, it is rated 3 - 40 MHz. The Unadilla baluns,
which go for about $25 , are rated down to 1.8 MHz.

Tam/WB2TT

Old September 22nd 03, 05:30 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:21:24 -0400, "Tarmo Tammaru"
wrote:

According to the AES catalog, it is rated 3 - 40 MHz. The Unadilla baluns,
which go for about $25 , are rated down to 1.8 MHz.

I was afraid of that. I checked their on-line catalog and found the
balun, but no ratings.

Guess I'm going to have to order one...and I'd actually planned on
putting the thing up today (Sunday). That didn't happen and I'll be
lucky to get one by Tuesday.

I have several 75 meter slopers. that use the EB-1 Cal-AV labs
External Bead Balun (choke) and have worked very well. Unfortunately
one failed early this past summer. It appears to be the EB-1 as the
center conductor to wire shows about 27K and the ground to the other
side is open. A noise bridge shows open as well.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/tower.htm
I'm going to *try* and orient the 160 fan dipole broadside NE/SW and
then reinstall the 1/2 wave center fed half wave sloper to the SW.
I may end up trying to shunt feed the tower (130 feet with TH-5 @
100 feet, 7 L C3i 6-meter Yagi at 115 feet, and stacked 12s on
2-meters and stacked 11s on 440 on a horizontal cross boom at 130 feet
-- vertically polarized), which makes for a lot of capacitive loading.
I could possibly go with an inverted-L, but there is so much *stuff*
hanging on the tower I don't know just how well that'd work.

Thanks for the info.

Roger (K8RI) Trying to get the antenna work finished before cold
weather.

Tam/WB2TT
.. .

Old September 22nd 03, 09:28 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

Why don't you try it without a balun first? You can always add it if you
have too much feedline radiation. Unless a 160m dipole is 100 feet up in the
air, it will be nondirectional anyhow.

which 4:1 Balun to use Andy Antenna 5 September 11th 03 02:46 AM
Off Center Fed Dipole: Windom HSQ Charles Wittnam Antenna 8 September 2nd 03 01:25 AM
50-300Ohm balun Reg Edwards Antenna 2 August 31st 03 06:11 PM
How to test a balun? Henry Kolesnik Antenna 0 July 20th 03 05:25 PM
What kind of balun is it? whitehat Antenna 1 July 11th 03 12:52 AM