Old May 15th 12, 07:11 PM
Junior Member

Question Antenna Tower-What's it worth? Want to buy?

Hi, We have a 40 foot galvanized aluminum antenna tower attached to our house that we don't use & I was thinking about selling it. There are four ten foot sections & the top has some kind of box looking thing & round antenna rods. Any ideas on what its worth, anyone want to buy it? I'll take best offer I guess-you dismantle & haul. Located in London, KY about 10 miles west of I-75, exit 41.

What is it worth?

Any offers?

Call 606-877-9912 or email to if interested
Old May 16th 12, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna Tower-What's it worth? Want to buy?

"SueKY" wrote in message

Hi, We have a 40 foot galvanized aluminum antenna tower attached to our
house that we don't use & I was thinking about selling it. There are
four ten foot sections & the top has some kind of box looking thing &
round antenna rods. Any ideas on what its worth, anyone want to buy it?
I'll take best offer I guess-you dismantle & haul. Located in London, KY
about 10 miles west of I-75, exit 41.

What is it worth?

Any offers?

Call 606-877-9912 or email to if interested

It can not be galvanized aluminum. If galvanized, it is steel. Anyway, if
it is what is called Rohn 25 and was already down and in good shape, it
would be worth about $ 35 to$ 45 per section, or about $ 160 total. If
someone has to take it down, whatever you can get for it.

If some other type, maybe even less.
Rohn tower has 3 round legs about an inch in diameter and round cross
bracing, about 1/4 inch in diameter that ziz-zags up the sections.

Old May 16th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Up here a lot of folks give them away to anyone willing to
dismantle and haul it.away Try to think of it as a liability
lightning rod and maybe kindly give it away to some ham
who would love to have it. The stuff up top may be
worth something to some ham, but you aren't using
it anyways. If you ask around the ham community you
can always find a young ham struggling to better his
station on a shoestring budget.

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

"SueKY" wrote in message

Hi, We have a 40 foot galvanized aluminum antenna tower attached to our
house that we don't use & I was thinking about selling it. There are
four ten foot sections & the top has some kind of box looking thing &
round antenna rods. Any ideas on what its worth, anyone want to buy it?
I'll take best offer I guess-you dismantle & haul. Located in London, KY
about 10 miles west of I-75, exit 41.

What is it worth?

Any offers?

Call 606-877-9912 or email to if interested

|Filename: Pic1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.radiobanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=869|

SueKY

Old May 18th 12, 09:00 PM
Senior Member

Having worked in the tower industry - not all tower with lattice is automatically Rohn.

There is all different grades of tower, and my guess is that this is TV tower - not the heavy duty Rohn - but I could be wrong.

I also could not blow up the picture to get a closer look - to see if it could be a Rohn 45 series of tower - you never know.

Some things to look at which will distinguish one tower from another, the size of the legs, the width of the legs the bolts that holds it together.

If I am not mistaken Rohn 25 uses two different size hardware - bolts to hold it together.

Some TV towers do not - even if it has lattice - it always isn't ROHN...

http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-25g-tower

Just as you cannot appraise a automobile or a house or a piece of property over the internet - so too you can't appraise tower.

Two rules of thumb - if the exterior is pitted - it is no good.
If the interior has rust it is no good.

Unfortunately I don't take my own advice.

The last 200' of tower I bought I paid $10 per a 10' section.

I also bought 36' of TV tower for $10.00 a section, and by the time I got it cleaned up and painted, I had $100 into each section.

That is usually the going price - unless someone wants it bad enough to pay more.

Most times most building permits will not allow you to put one up - due to building codes and covenants -and unless you are a licensed amateur radio operator and even then, 40' is probably as high as they will permit you to go - unless you live out on a farm someplace and own lot's of land.

Last edited by Channel Jumper : May 18th 12 at 09:03 PM

New Antenna Worth Trying ? Robert11 Antenna 24 June 16th 07 03:13 PM
Really low SWRs but is it worth trimming the antenna Blue Dawg Antenna 11 July 13th 05 06:00 PM
dual cb antenna is it worth the trouble [email protected] Antenna 4 July 20th 04 06:34 PM
WTB antenna tower Lars Edwards Swap 0 June 5th 04 04:45 AM
Antenna tower lou de beer Swap 0 July 2nd 03 08:18 AM