Old September 5th 05, 06:22 PM
malomarski

Default LED lamp replacement for old Type 47 bayonet lamp?

Need advice,

I'm fixing up an old Hallicrafters Tube radio and I look to replace the
original type 47 bayonet lamp with a long lasting LED lamp. Specs for a
type 47 lamp are as follows:

Miniature Bayonet (BA9)
Circuit volts 6-9v
Rating volts 6.3v
Rating Amp 0.15a
Life 3,000
MCSD .52

I've found this link:

http://www.sunbriteleds.com/product.asp?id=50

Where can I actually buy some of these is small quantities?

I am going to use the LED lamp for a dial faceplate and don't want
extremely bright; as a matter of fact, I'm looking for a dim Red glow...

Regards,

malo
Old September 5th 05, 08:09 PM
Scott Dorsey

malomarski wrote:

Where can I actually buy some of these is small quantities?

As I recall, Harris/Allied Broadcast Supply sells the LED replacement
lamps.

You can also make your own with a high intensity LED, a resistor,
and the base from an old #47 lamp. Heat the lamp with a propane
torch and both the cement and the solder will come loose.

I am going to use the LED lamp for a dial faceplate and don't want
extremely bright; as a matter of fact, I'm looking for a dim Red glow...

So use an incandescent lamp with the next higher voltage rating and
be done with it. A 12V lamp in place of a 6V one will be dim, and
last forever.
--scott
Old September 5th 05, 09:11 PM
Lynn Coffelt

I'm fixing up an old Hallicrafters Tube radio and I look to replace the
original type 47 bayonet lamp with a long lasting LED lamp.

IF the old Hallicrafters is an S-38, some substitution caution is in order.
The pilot light on this (transformerless) model is wired in parallel with
one half of the rectifier tube's filament. If the current drawn by the
substitute lamp is too low, the heater (filament) voltage across ALL the
tubes will be a wee bit higher. Maybe not a good thing for tube longevity.

Old Chief Lynn

Old September 5th 05, 10:21 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:22:54 -0400, malomarski
wrote:

Need advice,

I'm fixing up an old Hallicrafters Tube radio and I look to replace the
original type 47 bayonet lamp with a long lasting LED lamp. Specs for a
type 47 lamp are as follows:

Miniature Bayonet (BA9)
Circuit volts 6-9v
Rating volts 6.3v
Rating Amp 0.15a
Life 3,000
MCSD .52

If this is a Chicago Miniature type, Mouser has all of those... I
recently replaced one in a 50s Heathkit...

bob
k5qwg

Old September 6th 05, 04:39 AM
gb

"malomarski" wrote in message
.. .
Need advice,

I'm fixing up an old Hallicrafters Tube radio and I look to replace the
original type 47 bayonet lamp with a long lasting LED lamp. Specs for a
type 47 lamp are as follows:

Miniature Bayonet (BA9)
Circuit volts 6-9v
Rating volts 6.3v
Rating Amp 0.15a
Life 3,000
MCSD .52

I believe that another bulb number has a significantly longer life than
3,000 hours

The #1891 bulb is another bayonet bulb, but it is rated at 14 volts & 0.24
amps

gb

Old September 6th 05, 10:23 AM
Michael A. Terrell

gb wrote:

"malomarski" wrote in message
.. .
Need advice,

I'm fixing up an old Hallicrafters Tube radio and I look to replace the
original type 47 bayonet lamp with a long lasting LED lamp. Specs for a
type 47 lamp are as follows:

Miniature Bayonet (BA9)
Circuit volts 6-9v
Rating volts 6.3v
Rating Amp 0.15a
Life 3,000
MCSD .52

I believe that another bulb number has a significantly longer life than
3,000 hours

The #1891 bulb is another bayonet bulb, but it is rated at 14 volts & 0.24
amps

gb

The #1847 is the long life lamp made to replace the #47. It is the
same base, glass, voltage, and current rating as the #47 and a drop in
replacement. If you want it dimmer or slightly colored, just dye the
glass.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell