Old September 19th 05, 05:47 PM

Default Quad 837 Grounded Grid linear amplifier

Greetings:

We recently acquired materials from the estate of Roger A. Jacobsen,
K9KLN, which included a nice Quad 837 tube linear for 80m - 20m(?).
Please look at this amp at:

http://www.cybertheque.org/ham/837_linear/

I would appreciate any recollections about the design, chassis
layout, performance and similarities to other 807/1625 grounded-
grid designs.

Regards,

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum

Old September 19th 05, 08:48 PM
Ken Scharf

Greetings:

We recently acquired materials from the estate of Roger A. Jacobsen,
K9KLN, which included a nice Quad 837 tube linear for 80m - 20m(?).
Please look at this amp at:

http://www.cybertheque.org/ham/837_linear/

I would appreciate any recollections about the design, chassis
layout, performance and similarities to other 807/1625 grounded-
grid designs.

Regards,

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum

As mentioned on the website, the linear is basicly the same as one that
appeared in the 1957 handbook and in early ARRL SSB manuals.
That version used modified 1625 tubes, the 837 is very similar to the
modified 1625 but with lower plate input ratings.
Old September 19th 05, 10:03 PM
msg

Ken Scharf wrote:

I should have been a little bit clearer in my original post; the website
I referred to is our website and the statements on that site are my
statements.

I'm really looking for recollections, comparisons to other chassis layouts,
construction practices, experiences with the design and operation, etc. etc.
I'd like to hear from people who have built, used or are using such a
linear. It would be good to see photos of other examples of this design,
and also of other grounded-grid(s) cathode driven tetrode/pentode designs
which are out there.

Specifically, I'd like to know if our amp was built to a published design
and/or follows a published chassis layout. Does anyone have the '57 handbook,
QST article or version of the SSB manual handy?

Old September 20th 05, 10:59 PM
Ken Scharf

Specifically, I'd like to know if our amp was built to a published design
and/or follows a published chassis layout. Does anyone have the '57
handbook,
QST article or version of the SSB manual handy?

I have a copy of the '57 HB, but I'm not sure if I can scan it due
to software problems. If I get my flatbed scanner working I'd be happy
to make a copy available. Or, I could just photo copy it and snail mail
it to you.