Old March 16th 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default Old Packet TNC with new computer

It may have been 20 years since I did any packet work, and the old Radio
Shack laptop I used no longer boots!

I have a laptop that runs Windows 8, used to program the new D-STAR
radios. I would like to use it with a USB-to-RS-232 adapter to talk to
a packet TNC. The adapter works with the programming software, so it
should work with a TNC.

I have an old copy of Procomm that will not install under Windows 8. I
understood there was a terminal program included with Windows, but can't
find it.

Can anyone tell me how to activate the Windows terminal program? If
not, can you recommend some other terminal program that will work with
Windows 8?

Fred
K4DII
Old March 16th 14, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

In article ,
Fred McKenzie writes:
It may have been 20 years since I did any packet work, and the old Radio
Shack laptop I used no longer boots!

I have a laptop that runs Windows 8, used to program the new D-STAR
radios. I would like to use it with a USB-to-RS-232 adapter to talk to
a packet TNC. The adapter works with the programming software, so it
should work with a TNC.

I have an old copy of Procomm that will not install under Windows 8. I
understood there was a terminal program included with Windows, but can't
find it.

Can anyone tell me how to activate the Windows terminal program? If
not, can you recommend some other terminal program that will work with
Windows 8?

Get a copy of Putty.

bill
KB3YV

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include std.disclaimer.h
Old March 31st 14, 09:39 PM
Senior Member

You will probably need a new TNC or a different chip for the TNC if the TNC is that old.

The updates used since the last time you did Packet will probably cause problems that will not allow you to operate Packet until you upgrade your TNC...
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old April 1st 14, 09:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Channel Jumper wrote:

You will probably need a new TNC or a different chip for the TNC if the
TNC is that old.

The updates used since the last time you did Packet will probably cause
problems that will not allow you to operate Packet until you upgrade
your TNC...

Bull****, the packet protocol has not changed since 1984.

That partly is why it has vanished from practical use.
Old April 1st 14, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Channel Jumper wrote:

You will probably need a new TNC or a different chip for the TNC if the
TNC is that old.

The updates used since the last time you did Packet will probably cause
problems that will not allow you to operate Packet until you upgrade
your TNC...

Utter nonsense.

Packet hasn't changed in decades and all the "updates" to TNC's are to
add new features such as USB interfaces and othe modes such as PSK.

--
Jim Pennino

Packet BBS? Gary Digital 2 September 20th 06 02:18 AM
Packet Ops Carl R. Stevenson Policy 41 January 10th 05 08:30 PM
14.100 packet David Shortwave 7 October 9th 03 06:26 AM
packet with FT-817 Massimo I0MCF Equipment 2 July 29th 03 10:06 PM
packet with FT-817 Massimo I0MCF Equipment 0 July 16th 03 02:15 PM