Old August 29th 03, 02:13 AM
Al Lorona

Default QST & Antenna Gain

Has anybody noticed that QST is printing antenna gain numbers again (in
advertisements, at least)?

Al W6LX
Old August 29th 03, 02:30 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Only the ones that have submitted the proper information as required by the
ARRL. What that is I am not sure. But I seen a comment on that in QST
recently.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 29th 03, 02:44 AM
Dan Richardson

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:13:11 -0700, Al Lorona
wrote:

Has anybody noticed that QST is printing antenna gain numbers again (in
advertisements, at least)?

Yes, that policy was updated in 1998. You can get the whole story at:

http://www.arrl.org/antmodels/policyart.html

73
Danny, K6MHE

Old August 29th 03, 03:43 PM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:30:03 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

Only the ones that have submitted the proper information as required by the
ARRL. What that is I am not sure. But I seen a comment on that in QST
recently.

The comments were in the "The doctor is IN" column in the Sept. issue.

Bob
k5qwg

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 29th 03, 05:31 PM
Al Lorona

Dan Richardson wrote:

Yes, that policy was updated in 1998.

73
Danny, K6MHE

Wow, that's over five years ago, yet I only first noticed gain numbers
in an ad earlier this year. Thanks, Danny.

Al W6LX

Old August 30th 03, 12:43 PM
W1RFI

Wow, that's over five years ago, yet I only first noticed gain numbers
in an ad earlier this year. Thanks, Danny.

Very few antenna manufacturers have provided the required models of their
antennas.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI

Old September 1st 03, 05:40 AM
Al Lorona

W1RFI wrote:

Very few antenna manufacturers have provided the required models of their
antennas.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI

This may be an ironic inversion of the condition we had years ago, where
antenna manufacturers claimed all kinds of gain numbers for their
products because they knew they were essentially unverifiable. Now, with
the new policy in place and a better means of verifying antenna gains
through modeling software, it is almost as if no one-- or, rather, very
few-- want to step forward and put their claimed antenna gains on the
line. Interesting.

It looks like ARRL has done its job well, at least to weed out the
ridiculous numbers from the rest.

Al W6LX
Old September 2nd 03, 12:55 AM

And, this isn't the ONLY PLACE for such shenanigans!! on TVRO DISH's (where
the gain calculations are Calculated, and pretty much accepted as GOSPEL,
some manufacturers added .3-.5 dB gain OVER that which is THEORITICALY
POSIABILE !!

Caviet Emptor (let the buyer beware) !!! Jim NN7K

Old October 1st 03, 12:13 AM
Uncle Peter

"Al Lorona" wrote in message
Dan Richardson wrote:

Yes, that policy was updated in 1998.

73
Danny, K6MHE

Wow, that's over five years ago, yet I only first noticed gain numbers
in an ad earlier this year. Thanks, Danny.

Al W6LX

Probably because most manufacturers don't want verifiable gain figures
published.

Peter