Old October 9th 04, 05:24 AM
Jim Martin

Default Cable Killer? Kenwood KPG-22 cable failures- they work then die! Why?

Over the last 5 months we have programmed many TK372, TK2100, TK2200,
TK3130 radios etc. successfully. This is accomplished from within
WIN98 with KPG56D, KPG48D in a DOS box or within Windows for KPG88D
and KPG75D (native Windows RSS) on a 600 MHz Dell Optiplex machine.

But 1 eBay Hong Kong cord and 4 Kenwood KPG-22 cables have quit working
suddenly and mysteriously...3 in the last 7 days.

This same computer and com port does Ritron product and Motorola just
fine with other appropriate cables.

Any opinions why we're "killing" Kenwood cables?

Thanks,

Jim Martin (800) 523-0625
Warehouse Radio, Inc.
3038 State St.
Columbus IN 47201

Old October 10th 04, 08:32 AM
Rick Frazier

Jim:

First thing that comes to mind is a ground loop.
I've seen the ground connection open on cables when the computer and the
programmed device are powered from different outlets. Further
investigation showed the grounds of the two devices were substantially
apart, thus causing current to flow in the connecting cable, making it
fail....

Perhaps you are seeing a similar problem?

Thanks
--Rick AH7H