Old June 13th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Apartment Antenna.

I think it came with the Tecsun R9700DX, but I cant remember for sure.

It's a 30' wire black insulated wire with a plastic alligator clip on one
end.
I've never used it much.

One evening recently, I decided to open the window, and drop the wire out of
of the small space between the screen and the window frame. I clipped the
end to a variety of portable receivers.

Sony-7600GR
Grundig-YB-400
RS DX-398
RS DX-202
Kaito KA-1103
Kaito KA-1107
Tecsun R-9700DX
Tecsun-PL-230

The results were impressive. It gave the portables stronger receive, better
clarity, and improved sensitivity.

The 1107 strugged with selectivity, but the rest performed well.
I have used that a few more times, when the weather is cool enough to open
the window, and turn off the A/C.
I'm anxious to use it this fall.

Old June 14th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default For an Apartment Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna -consider- The "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

On Jun 13, 1:42 pm, "SWLO-2010" wrote:
[...]

SWLO-2010 - What 'works' . . . WORKS ! ~ RHF

-IF- you have two Windows try running/routing
the Wire across/between the two Windows
so the the Wire Antenna Element is Horizontal
vice Vertical - Sometimes this will help to
reduce the local Noise pick-up of the Antenna.

Here are a few 'other' simple Wire Antenna Ideas to use
with 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios in an Apartment :

* Using an External LongWire {Random Wire} Antenna
with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.google.com/group/rec.radi...3b1b7b54401814
Old June 14th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SWLO-2010 wrote:

The 1107 strugged with selectivity, but the rest performed well.
I have used that a few more times, when the weather is cool enough to open
the window, and turn off the A/C.
I'm anxious to use it this fall.

You might want to try out one of those small magnetic loop antenna's.
They allow you to null out any interference from the apartment and
generally they pick up less noise anyway. Put it on a stick and direct
it out of the window...

Experimenting with antenna's should be half the fun of shortwave
listening. Its the most important part of the listening station and
theres sooo much to gain, especially in challenging situations such as
you are in yourself!

--
JeroenK
Old June 14th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"JeroenK" wrote in message
SWLO-2010 wrote:

The 1107 strugged with selectivity, but the rest performed well.
I have used that a few more times, when the weather is cool enough to

open
the window, and turn off the A/C.
I'm anxious to use it this fall.

You might want to try out one of those small magnetic loop antenna's.
They allow you to null out any interference from the apartment and
generally they pick up less noise anyway. Put it on a stick and direct
it out of the window...

Thats a good idea.

Experimenting with antenna's should be half the fun of shortwave
listening. Its the most important part of the listening station and
theres sooo much to gain, especially in challenging situations such as
you are in yourself!

--
JeroenK

I do a lot of experimenting and improvising with antennas. I have a Kaito
window loop I bought a few months ago, and it's actually not to bad for the
price. I've been at this apt. living and SW-listening for quite some time
now. I'm going to add a section for atp. dwellers on my website.
And, not just for antennas, but how I made up my own work benches on
casters, so when you're not it, you can just roll it against the wall and
use it for a shelf. You can screw a power strip on the front, and use an
extension cord, so you can solder, drill, or plug in any AC device or wall
wart. They also make a good recharging station for cell phone, batteries, or
anything that needs a charge.

Another example. I figured out a way to make cradles for portables
receivers, that you can put at just the right angle for your pleasure. I got
the idea when the back stand broke on my favorite portable receiver, my old
and trusty DX-398. Then I realized the size I was using was perfect for the
larger portables like the Grundig S-350, S-350 DL, and they fit my new
KA-2100 as well. It's nice to sit them at a convenient angle.

You can make 2 of them for about 5 bucks.
How can you beat that?
I have to photograph. them and then add them to the site.

Old June 14th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would love to be able to do that, but each room has only one window, and
I'm in a high rise with no balcony.
You know, if a guy had an apt with a balcony, he could really come up with
some good configurations.
But, since I don't, I just have to do what they told me to do many years ago
in the Army...Adapt!

Here are a few 'other' simple Wire Antenna Ideas to use
with 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios in an Apartment :

* Using an External LongWire {Random Wire} Antenna
with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.google.com/group/rec.radi...3b1b7b54401814
.
* "Three Ways to Use the 'Portable Wire Antenna' (PWA)"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/306
Works well with the Sony ICF-2010 and will work well with the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR too; and many other 'portable' SW Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1728
How-To-Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) with many
'portable' AM/FM Shorwave Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/3046

READ - Low Cost {Basic} Portable Shortwave Listening
(SWL) Antenna Ideas For On The Go !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a3384f07142a77
* BUILD-YOUR-OWN - HOW-TO-MAKE-A : "Tune-A-Stick"
Whip Antenna Coupler for External Shortwave Antenna.
* Two Things that most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave
Radios Could Use for "Improved" Shortwave Radio
Listening (SWL)
* The 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio-to-Antenna
Connector Box "The GIZMOE !"

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a+rhf&start=0&
hl=en&
.

Thanks for the links.

.
. .

Old June 14th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 14, 5:38 am, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"JeroenK" wrote in message

SWLO-2010 wrote:

[...]

SWL-2010 - "add them to the site." ? ? ? ~ RHF

Help! Apartment Antenna Question! Jeff Antenna 13 January 28th 04 01:33 AM
apartment dwellers antenna j.beltz Antenna 20 December 21st 03 11:07 PM
apartment antennas Philip Levine Shortwave 14 December 5th 03 06:23 AM
Apartment Antenna Travis A. Scanner 2 October 18th 03 03:09 AM
Outdoor SWL antenna options, 2nd fl apartment? Sven Franklyn Weil Shortwave 21 September 28th 03 11:53 AM