Old July 28th 05, 10:30 PM
Reg Edwards

Default Underground Antenna Experiments on 160 meters.

Some years back I buried a 30 metre (60-feet) auminium wire one spade
depth in my back garden. Wire was 1.5 mm in diameter. Soil
resistivity about 100 ohm-metres. To scientists that's 10
milli-Siemens. The near end of the wire came up in the shack. That's
under my kitchen sink. It's still there. Open-circuit at the far end.

As a counterpoise, something essential to tune it against, I erected a
wire in the form of an inverted-L. This was about 30 feet high and
overall length about 140 feet. I chose this length because it fitted
nicely into my back garden. The front garden is too short even for an
underground antenna.

On the 160m band I fed into it about 30 watts from a home-brew
transceiver so I can't provide for the record a manufacturer's type
and serial number. However I still have the transceiver which can be
inspected.

Despite a high local noise level of S-6 I was able to communicate up
to 60 miles with mobile stations in broad daylight on SSB. After
sunset I could easily communicate with most of Europe on CW.

I think a record of these buried antenna experiments should be kept
for posterity, alongside the famous biblical work of B,L & E.

By the way, as you see, I did remember to measure soil resistivity. It
was the first thing I did. What buried wire do you think I used to
measure it?
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old July 28th 05, 11:00 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
[...]

Hi Reg, Interesting, but isn't a 30 metre wire more like 100 feet
instead of 60 feet? According to the conversions on your programs it
is. Did you ever try burying your counterpoise and elevating the
buried aluminum wire to see how the results compare?
Gary N4AST

Old July 28th 05, 11:38 PM
Richard Fry

"Reg Edwards"
Some years back I buried a 30 metre (60-feet) auminium wire
one spade depth in my back garden.
As a counterpoise, something essential to tune it against, I erected a
wire in the form of an inverted-L. This was about 30 feet high and
overall length about 140 feet.

I think a record of these buried antenna experiments should be kept
for posterity, alongside the famous biblical work of B,L & E.

____________

So you loaded your tx into an antenna system consisting of a 140 foot
inverted L, 30 feet above ground with a buried ground radial 99 feet long.
What is so unusual about that? Certainly not a venture of biblical
proportions, IMO.

Perhaps you haven't flipped enough of your calendar pages?

RF

Old July 28th 05, 11:39 PM
Reg Edwards

jgboyles wrote
Hi Reg, Interesting, but isn't a 30 metre wire more like 100 feet
instead of 60 feet? According to the conversions on your programs

it
is.

=============================
It's in the right ball park.

I'm pleased you make use of the measurements conversions in some of my
programs. Its just a small thing I can do to help paying back for what
you Americans did by helping us poor Brits to win the war. ;o) ;o)
;o) ;o) ;o) ;o)
----
Reg.

Old July 28th 05, 11:56 PM
John Smith

Reg:

Indeed, my grandfather fought with "you brits" during the war, he had many
german lugars, swords, coins and memorabilia he brought back...

He seen enough to hold a high respect for the british empires' citizens--for
the rest of his life... indeed, his words inspired such in others...

Unless he greatly exaggerated the acts of glory, valor, bravery and loyalty
demonstrated by the british troops, (which I never found existed in my
grandfather--exaggeration), which he shared foxholes with, you brits have
nothing to repay... we are even--perhaps we even got the better of the deal, as
our forefathers had the company of decent men to share those bad times with...
he was there and liberated the Nazi camps, in the end... he would cry when he
would describe what his eyes could never forget...

.... he spoke highly of the aussies also, indeed, he commented, "some of those
men were above mere human beings" (his EXACT words), when referring to both
brits and aussies.

I have told my son of this man (his great-grandfather) and the men he (my
grandfather) was fortunate enough to have had at his side...

If the future demands, let us hope we shall be such allies again...

John

jgboyles wrote

Old July 29th 05, 04:13 AM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
I'm pleased you make use of the measurements conversions in some of my
programs. Its just a small thing I can do to help paying back for what
you Americans did by helping us poor Brits to win the war. ;o) ;o)
;o) ;o) ;o) ;o)

Hey Reg, guess where our English system of
measurements came from.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 29th 05, 11:45 AM
Rex.T

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:13:24 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Hey Reg, guess where our English system of
measurements came from.

The Romans, the same as ours

Rex. T
Old July 29th 05, 01:13 PM
GS

Hi Reg,

My partner has built a similar antenna years ago with great success.

There are several antennas of this type in the world used primarily for
military applications at the these bands.

If anyone is interested look at www.ve3sqb.com, maybe you can get him to
post some of his research.

73's
Guenther VE3CVS
Degen Designs
www.degendesigns.com

Old July 29th 05, 01:18 PM
Murray

Some of the lads here buried a wire (no counterpoise) in the
sand in the desert and successfully transmitted some
thousands of miles to the disbelief of the receiving
stations. No measurements of any scientific stuff
like soil conductivity, but. :-)

Cheers
Murray vk4aok

Old July 29th 05, 02:00 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Reg Edwards wrote:
Some years back I buried a 30 metre (60-feet) auminium wire one spade
depth in my back garden. Wire was 1.5 mm in diameter. Soil
resistivity about 100 ohm-metres. To scientists that's 10
milli-Siemens. The near end of the wire came up in the shack. That's
under my kitchen sink. It's still there. Open-circuit at the far end.

Reg, was that 30 meters and 90 feet or 60 feet and 20 meters? Just for us
mathematically challenged.

W4ZCB