Old August 31st 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Is CB dead?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, L. wrote:

"Diana Satyr" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Beech Creek" wrote:

"gb" wrote in message
Technology, Politics and Public has moved on .......the original needs
(requirements) that attracted the general public to CB have largely
been
met by BETTER solutions for the general public.

1.) Reagan / Bush [41] Administrations, 1980s.
Low tolerance for foul language and unreliability of the communications
that the CB service became in late 1970s - especially with conservative
family & religious groups.

What a ridiculous crock.

The general public was never attracted to CB. Initially it was

It is true, technology has moved on just as it always does and always
will,
but the CB craze of the late 70's was dead long before the technological
advances you mention were developed and it had NOTHING to do with
Reagan/Bush political intolerance for pete's sake.

It was a fad, mainly among teenagers, and like all fads it's lifespan was
destined to be a short one.

Was it Reagan/Bush that killed the Afro hair style, bell-bottom jeans,
soul
music, parachute pants, etc.?

The FCC abandoned the CB service to the wolves and that's what took it
over
and that's what will take it over again as soon as the sunspot cycle
permits.

What passing 90's fads are you going to blame on the intolerance of the
Bush
43 administration?

WB5CYS

"In part" - the truckers, movies ("Smokey and the bandit" and such) and
songs - made CB popular as well. There was a market push back then - many
models being pushed - along with antennas and so on. The CB craze died as
the man said - long before Cell Phones and so on - came to be. Actually -
the predecessor to Cell - was "Mobile" phone - which was quite expensive and
perhaps not so reliable or widely available then as cells are today..... BUT
still "they" didn't shoot down CB either.

Some day - maybe not for a few years - Cell phones may be a fad........
There ARE still many CBers out there - just not as many as at one time. The
Truckers do still use them quite heavily and at that - some use modified
radios into 10m. Then too, there are some truckers who've acquired their Ham
Licenses and now use it to talk when all else seems dead - traffic wise and
so on. I see many homes I "used" to know people who were users with antennas
still up - but gave up CB due to what it had become. It was no longer
something suitable for "family" use. Maybe now - with WWF and so on
sprouting shows saying all sorts of words even with the knowledge of
children in the crowds, CB would fit right in - since those once virgin
ears are no longer virgin..........

First it was pagers - now cell phones which have taken over our younger
generation AND some of ours. Radio - be it ham, cb, 2 way, has all but been
forgotten by them. Where WOULD they be with out their Cell Phones? I'd hate
to see the reaction if we ever had a "major" catastrophy which knocked out
all the cell sites. Most of these people will be without their drug.

_Drug_ is the right word for cell phones. And, its not just the kids.
Around my neighborhood we have a lot of retirees and cell phones are being
used by them as well, and quite often. Wife and I can't go to any
restaurant now and not have at least one or two or three people getting
interupted at whatever meal for very definitely nonessential
conversations. We can drive almost anywhere for any local trip and look at
drivers and at any given time we can see well enough to see about 20-30%
are holding something to one or the other ears, and if we are close
enough, can see them or hear them talking, too. Sure, I have one and its
turned off all the time (my justification is, at my age, if I have a
medical problem like chest pains, I want to try to get help, or some
emergency, I can turn the thing on, otherwise its off)

Then again - it could be interesting as history does tend to repeat itself
to a degree. Who knows, we could see another surge in radio if the right
gimmick comes along - accompanied by the right "marketing" techniques.

I think society is evolving in the direction of gadgets and nothing else.
I'm also seeing a lot of people with these little ear "bug" things now.
We're turning into the "Borg." And, there is some plan out there about
the govt going to inject some kind of chip into all of us someday.

Its all overkill, overboard.

L.

Old August 31st 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
L. L. is offline

"Straydog" wrote in message
.com...

"Beech Creek" wrote:

"gb" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if that "government chip program" is realistic or someone's
paranoia playing in - but if it "is" real - I think they may have a hard
time implementing it.

Otherwise, I'm in line with you. I too use a cell phone - BUT - I can't
stand being called for stupid things.
I have a business and am involved in some major things which require me to
be able to be contacted on a moments notice........ There "are" times I use
it to make calls on the go - as I often do a lot of traveling locally. Other
than that, I expect it to stay QUIET! I much prefer to listen to my stereo
in my vehicle. But, when talking, I have a "blue tooth" device so I can
maintain control of my vehicle. If need be, I'll pull over til I'm done. I'm
also not one to "talk with my hands" as many do - so they remain ON the
wheel! Personally, my conversations which I have "are" of my own business
and I try hard NOT to talk publicly so others can "hear" it. Some people
will rattle off there Social Security, Bank Accounts numbers, etc...... in
front of others. HOW DUMB.

But I can say - it SUCKS when you have like 5 or 6 conversations going on
around you when in a restaurant, movie theater, etc. It "used" to be, you
went to those places to GET AWAY FROM A PHONE and other hassles of life.
That the phone number there was given to a baby sitter or someone FOR
EMERGENCIES ONLY. A friend of mine often will ask me to join him for dinner
at a restaurant - but he usually ends up on his cell phone for the better
part of it, which I find a bit annoying. I can "always" eat by myself
without having to listen to others' conversations. He apologizes for it and
he's as busy as I am - but still - it is annoying as I try to use those
moments to catch up on things of mutual interest and need - where we are
involved in social issues.
Yeah boy, some days I wish cells were NEVER invented.

Back on topic - as for CB - as I said, it isn't "completely" dead - it is
still used - mainly by truckers. You still have those who use them at home
to "crash" for the evening - maybe a chat before bed or something. I know we
have a few channels here locally in use as such. I hear stations on SKIP on
a few channels and they must be unemployed with some big guns because I
ALWAYS hear them. Yes, though I do NOT "talk" on CB much anymore, I do tune
in from time to time - especially if bored. Sometimes I'll turn my H.F. rig
on in my vehicle which has a general coverage receiver and maybe tune around
while eating lunch.

In a way, CB is being wasted, it is still a very viable communications
device. It did serve its purpose for many people at some point - be it for
roadside help, picking up things at a store at a last minute on way home
when your spouse or significant other got on their radio to give the order,
road directions, smokey reports - can't forget those, and some even met up
and married after meeting on the CB.

IF there was anyone of interest for me to communicate with on the CB, I'd
get back on - no problem.
I didn't abandon it "just" because I got into Ham, I got off BECAUSE - most
of the idiots about that time were fighting constantly on the air. Most of
it was liquor doing the talking. A lot of my chat friends moved on in life
or died off, so -........................... thus ended my "active" cb days.

CB is only as dead as you want it to be. Hook up a radio and antenna and get
your friends back into it - save the "cell" costs and phone charges. If you
used it before and enjoyed, you still could today - since it seems most has
died off.......

Just my 2 cents.

L.

Dead bugs! Frank Homebrew 37 June 2nd 06 02:44 AM
Headline: Brain Dead Woman Gives Birth To Baby Girl Roger General 0 August 4th 05 12:40 AM
Breaker 1-9 good buddy! I got a Dead Leprechaun on my tail! [email protected] CB 0 December 9th 04 01:09 AM
Wanted Dead or alive Communications receiver,s and radio equipment big boy now Shortwave 0 November 27th 04 05:33 PM