Old February 16th 12, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Homebrew or Copycat B&W AP10 Windowsill Antenna

Somewhere I recall seeing an article on homebrewing a windowsill
antenna similar to the B&W AP-10. Does anyone have a copy they
could email me, or a link where I can find the information. I was
hospitalized for serious problems and all my ham gear including many
books were donated to the local ham club -- I'm starting again from
scratch after 54 years of hamming, but on a much smaller scale!

Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

Old February 16th 12, 06:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Irv Finkleman wrote:

Somewhere I recall seeing an article on homebrewing a windowsill
antenna similar to the B&W AP-10. Does anyone have a copy they
could email me, or a link where I can find the information. I was
hospitalized for serious problems and all my ham gear including many
books were donated to the local ham club -- I'm starting again from
scratch after 54 years of hamming, but on a much smaller scale!

I don't know of a specific article, but

http://www.bwantennas.com/instr/Ap10b.pdf

is the instruction sheet for the final version of the antenna. Page 2
shows a fairly decent physical diagram of the antenna coil
construction.

Basically, the antenna appears to be a telescoping whip, with a large
air-core inductor / loading coil mounted below it. A flying lead is
used to short out some of the turns on the coil, in order to set the
amount of inductance. A variable-length counterpoise wire is used;
both the counterpoise length and the loading-coil fly lead setting
must be adjusted for each band in order to get a good match.

You could probably either use a piece of Airdux inductor stock, if you
can find one at a hamfest / flea market, or wind your own inductor on
some sort of suitable form (perhaps PVC pipe?).

It looks like a fairly standard "small antenna" approach.

Addition of a small LC tuner at the base (homebrew, variable cap +
recycled roller inductor?) might save you some time during setup and
band changes, by reducing the need to fiddle with the counterpoise
length and position to get a usable impedance match.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old February 18th 12, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I used to have a b&w ap-10 and it worked quite well. I tuned it by
adjusting the length of a single radial across my apartment rug. MFJ
makes a window-sill antenna that looks awfully similar:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-1622

The user manual is online, and you can probably order the little
bugcatcher-style coil a la carte.

Bob
k5qwg

Old February 19th 12, 01:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 15, 9:44*pm, "Irv Finkleman" wrote:
Somewhere I recall seeing an article on homebrewing a windowsill
antenna similar to the B&W AP-10. *Does anyone have a copy they
could email me, or a link where I can find the information. *I was
hospitalized for serious problems and all my ham gear including many
books were donated to the local ham club -- I'm starting again from
scratch after 54 years of hamming, but on a much smaller scale!

Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

Shortly after getting my ticket I spent nearly a year in OKC going to
computer school living in a 2 story apartment. To get on the air I use
about 15 ft of EMT conduit and built a little LC tuner of scrounged Cu
tubing and a cap out of a 5 tube AM radio. Picked up a CB VSWR meter
at a yard sale for a tuning indicator. Later picked up an MFJ tuner at
a hamfest, wahoo. Balcony railing was my counterpoise.

Jimmie
Old February 19th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

I spent 26 years in the Navy ('57 to '83) moving from place to
place. Whether onboard ship, in navy Quarters, or after marriage
in apartments and houses, I always managed something similar. Following
retirement I became somewhat of an expert in helping other hams
setting up concealed or low profile stations. I had a marvellous
collection of assorted parts and pieces with which I could easily
throw something together. Two years ago, following a serious
illness, I sold my house and moved into an assisted living facility.
I donated all my ham radio equiment, books, junkbox, and so on
to the local ham club -- a real 50 year old treasure collection
which I wish I had today! I'm well again, or at least well enough
that I'm going back into hamming -- starting from scratch. I'm
really looking forward to being on the air again,
As we say in Calgary, aka Cowtown, Yahoooooooo!

Irv, VE6BP

Old February 19th 12, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

Good for you Irv, and I'm glad you are doing better.
Modest antennas can be fun, particularly when sunspots cooperate!

Wayne
W5GIE