Old August 12th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Patch antenna Polarization?

What is altered to change polarization (V/H) on a square patch antenna?
I see the corners are cut to make it circular polarization.
But how do you force horizontal or vertical on a square patch?
Mike

Old August 12th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 12, 12:25 pm, "mike" wrote:
What is altered to change polarization (V/H) on a square patch antenna?
I see the corners are cut to make it circular polarization.
But how do you force horizontal or vertical on a square patch?
Mike

E-plane is along the "length" dimension...the E-vector points from the
side with the feed to the opposite side.
Altering the polarization is simple physical rotation, or feeding from
an adjacent side.

Old August 13th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"nx7u" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 12, 12:25 pm, "mike" wrote:
What is altered to change polarization (V/H) on a square patch antenna?
I see the corners are cut to make it circular polarization.
But how do you force horizontal or vertical on a square patch?
Mike

E-plane is along the "length" dimension...the E-vector points from the
side with the feed to the opposite side.
Altering the polarization is simple physical rotation, or feeding from
an adjacent side.

Ok, to make sure I understand;
If I put the feed on the lowerhalf of the patch the antenna would be
vertically polarized?
And, if I put the feed on the left or right half of the patch the antenna
would be horizontally polarized?
Now to complicate things, I see some patches split the difference and put
the feedpoint on the left side of the lowerhalf. What does that do?
Thanks, Mike

Old August 13th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"amdx" wrote in
:

"nx7u" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 12, 12:25 pm, "mike" wrote:
[...]

Most probably to achieve circular radiation (e.g. GPS)

Sam

Old August 13th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yes to both.
A corner-fed patch is roughly circularly polarized...I say roughly
because there are some other pertubations typically made to force the
sense of the CP, and also to improve the circularity.
But if the feed is just offset a bit (like 1/4-3/4 rather than
1/2-1/2)...well that should act similarly to an offset-fed dipole, so
you'd have higher input impedance and some feedpoint reactance. And
the pattern linearity would be more elliptical (patches typically have
relatively high crosspolar response anyway).

Old August 14th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"nx7u" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My next trick is to put 4 Patch antennas on one plate, I'm looking for the
proper
spacing between Patches. My guide at this point is this site,
http://www.darc.de/distrikte/g/T_ATV...d-Array-GB.pdf
the author puts 4 biquads on one plate with proper phaseing and impedance
matching.
The author uses .8 wavelength vertical and .9 wavelength horizontal
spacing betwen centers.
I'm thinking 1.0 wavelength between centers is correct, but open to some
correction factor
for some (unknown to me) characteristic.
Any help and leads appreciated,
Thanks. Mike

Old August 14th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

amdx wrote:
"nx7u" wrote in message
[...]

You can space patches quite closely or far apart. It typically depends
on how hard you want to work on your feed network, because closer
spacing increases the mutual coupling, which makes it harder to get the
right phasing. OTOH, spacing them too far apart gives you grating lobes
in the pattern. 1 wavelength is quite far. Consider, for instance,
that most patch antennas are on some sort of substrate with an
epsilon1, so the actual patch size is substantially smaller than a free
space halfwavelength. If your substrate epsilon were, say, 2.2, then
the patch would be roughly 0.5/sqrt(2.2) or about 0.34 lambda(freespace)
on a side. At this size, spacing them on half wavelength centers would
be easy.

Some other aspects that might drive how you lay out the patch array is
how you intend to feed them. If you're feeding them with a microstrip
on the edge, then you have to find room for the feedline on the top and
the feed network. If you feed them from the bottom (probe feed) it's a
bit easier to build your feed network on the back side. You can also
slot feed the patches.
Old August 14th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jim Lux" wrote in message
amdx wrote:
"nx7u" wrote in message
[...]

The patch I'm building uses an air dielectric so I'm using about .47 Lambda
on a side.
This site is my guide; http://www.rc-cam.com/gp_patch.htm
I'm feeding with coax thru the backplate with the center conductor to the
Patch. (probe feed)
Since the Patches are 0.47 Lambda, 1.0 Lambda spacing would leave 0.56
Lambda between Patches.
Probably to much. At 0.5 Lambda the patches would almost touch. Probably to
close.
So it's between 0.5 and 1.0 Lamda.
What criteria do I use to choose the spacing?
I looked at this page and it shows 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, and 0.5 Lambda
http://images.vertmarkets.com/CRLive...nArticle5a.pdf
Although for my antenna I think those numbers should be doubled, (0.4, 0.6,
0.8, and 1.0 Lambda.

Old August 14th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The patch I'm building uses an air dielectric so I'm using about .47 Lambda
on a side.
This site is my guide; http://www.rc-cam.com/gp_patch.htm
I'm feeding with coax thru the backplate with the center conductor to the
Patch. (probe feed)
Since the Patches are 0.47 Lambda, 1.0 Lambda spacing would leave 0.56
Lambda between Patches.
Probably to much. At 0.5 Lambda the patches would almost touch. Probably to
close.
So it's between 0.5 and 1.0 Lamda.
What criteria do I use to choose the spacing?

Are you concerned about grating lobes?
How much work do you want to go through to calculate or measure mutual
Z, so your feed network works?

Far apart reduces mutual coupling, so you can use a simple feed network
(i.e. power divider and equal length lines), but gives you grating lobes.

You have to calculate the pattern of your array (you could start with
the pattern of an array of isotropic elements, and then just multiply by
the pattern of one patch, which is typically some sort of cos(theta)^n
looking thing..

If far apart gives you an ok pattern, then go with it. It's easier,
although bulkier.

Old August 14th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jim Lux" wrote in message

The patch I'm building uses an air dielectric so I'm using about .47
Lambda on a side.
This site is my guide; http://www.rc-cam.com/gp_patch.htm
I'm feeding with coax thru the backplate with the center conductor to the
Patch. (probe feed)
Since the Patches are 0.47 Lambda, 1.0 Lambda spacing would leave 0.56
Lambda between Patches.
Probably to much. At 0.5 Lambda the patches would almost touch. Probably
to close.
So it's between 0.5 and 1.0 Lamda.
What criteria do I use to choose the spacing?

Are you concerned about grating lobes?

Just looking for the main lobe to have max gain.

How much work do you want to go through to calculate or measure mutual Z,
so your feed network works?

I hope my 50 ohm patches stays 50 ohms, so I guess I they need enough space
so
they don't have much mutual coupling. (I want my cake and eat it to) :-)

Far apart reduces mutual coupling, so you can use a simple feed network
(i.e. power divider and equal length lines), but gives you grating lobes.

You have to calculate the pattern of your array (you could start with the
pattern of an array of isotropic elements, and then just multiply by the
pattern of one patch, which is typically some sort of cos(theta)^n looking
thing..

If far apart gives you an ok pattern, then go with it. It's easier,
although bulkier.

I'm quite confused at this point, I'm going to build one using the spacing
at
http://www.darc.de/distrikte/g/T_ATV...d-Array-GB.pdf
But instead of the Biquad antennas, I'll use the Patches.
I'll build it and see if the come, (the RF waves that is)
Do you think 0.45 Lambda is far enough so that mutual couple won't affect
the input impedance?

Mike

Patch Antenna - HELP Mario Antenna 4 April 24th 07 02:24 PM
Circular V.S. Vertical antenna polarization ! Lex-Lutor Broadcasting 6 March 22nd 05 07:50 PM
Mostly horizontal polarization of HF arriving at my antenna? Kristinn Andersen, TF3KX Antenna 6 March 15th 05 06:34 AM
What is the polarization of Inverted V ANTENNA Marty B. CB 2 September 27th 04 02:26 AM
Patch antenna on FR4 PCB OZ1IPU - John Antenna 2 January 5th 04 05:20 PM