Old June 8th 05, 10:52 PM

Default Microwave detector questions

Digging through my junkbox I found I have two Omni Spectra
20090 detectors that use Alpha D5326098 diodes. They measure
a Vf of 240mV compared to a "typical" GE which has a Vf of
358mV. I measured 3 In34 and 3 OA81C and they all matched
within a mV or so..

I couldn't find specs for the Omin Spetras, but I also
have a HP 8472B "crystal detector" that The specs say
"low barrier Shottky"". It also measures 240mV.

I can easily get the Omnis apart so they may become
sacrifed tothe greater glory of SW.

In my net searches I was a little shocked at how expensive
the microwave detectors are even used.

Terry

Old June 9th 05, 03:58 PM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
ps.com...
Digging through my junkbox I found I have two Omni Spectra
20090 detectors that use Alpha D5326098 diodes. They measure
a Vf of 240mV compared to a "typical" GE which has a Vf of
358mV. I measured 3 In34 and 3 OA81C and they all matched
within a mV or so..

At what current? Don't take the textbook diode (Vf +R) model as
honest-to-gosh truth. Check out:

http://www.bentongue.com/7diodeCv/7diodeCv.html

This is from:

http://www.bentongue.com/

I couldn't find specs for the Omin Spetras, but I also
have a HP 8472B "crystal detector" that The specs say
"low barrier Shottky"". It also measures 240mV.

I can easily get the Omnis apart so they may become
sacrifed tothe greater glory of SW.

In my net searches I was a little shocked at how expensive
the microwave detectors are even used.

Terry

The precision rectifier seems like a pretty good idea.

This subject has gone around here a few times. Deja/google keywords as
Hi-Fi AM, Low distortion detector and such in rec.radio.shortwave and
rec.antiques.radio+phono.

Frank Dresser

Old June 10th 05, 01:41 AM

"Frank Dresser" wrote:

At what current? Don't take the textbook diode (Vf +R) model as
honest-to-gosh truth. Check out:

http://www.bentongue.com/7diodeCv/7diodeCv.html

This is from:

http://www.bentongue.com/

The precision rectifier seems like a pretty good idea.

This subject has gone around here a few times. Deja/google keywords as
Hi-Fi AM, Low distortion detector and such in rec.radio.shortwave and
rec.antiques.radio+phono.

Frank Dresser
I have given up on the shottky diode and forward bais, see my way to
long post on improving audio.

I am going with a precision rectifier built with 10MHz Video opamps.
I hve decided to leave the existing detection and audio chain in
place and add an IF buffer to feed an external detector "strip"

Terry