Old May 30th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SVO?

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:09:52 -0600, Brian O wrote:

I'm picking up a cw station, call sign SVO, transmitting a long tone then
de SVO. 8424kHz at 407 GMT here in Texas. Anyone familiar what this
station is, where they are and what they do?
Thanks,

SVO Athens/Greece channel marker got it here too

(a western state)

Old May 30th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"yea right" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:09:52 -0600, Brian O wrote:

I'm picking up a cw station, call sign SVO, transmitting a long tone then
de SVO. 8424kHz at 407 GMT here in Texas. Anyone familiar what this
station is, where they are and what they do?
Thanks,

SVO Athens/Greece channel marker got it here too

(a western state)

Interesting. There is a CW signal there, bearly detectable and
not strong enough to be readable in socal.
0530 UTC.
Greece is a long way away. Pretty good for that
distance.

--
rb

Old May 30th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian O wrote:
I'm picking up a cw station, call sign SVO, transmitting a long tone then de
SVO. 8424kHz at 407 GMT here in Texas. Anyone familiar what this station
is, where they are and what they do?
Thanks,

Thats a coastal rtty frequency, when not transmitting they often have
such a cw signal just so receivers can stay tuned in for when a rtty
broadcast begins.

--
JeroenK
Old May 30th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

I'm picking up a cw station, call sign SVO, transmitting a long tone then de
SVO. 8424kHz at 407 GMT here in Texas. Anyone familiar what this station
is, where they are and what they do?

Brian, that's maritime coastal station Olympia Radio SVO, in Greece.
They provide VHF and HF radio telephone and HF SITOR services to
vessels at sea. As it happens, I logged this station myself a few
nights ago (28 May) on the same frequency at 0318Z.

The transmitter is located at 37-36-11.7N/21-29-11E, which is at
Pirgos, but is remotely controlled from Athens.

You can find QSL address information he

http://www.worldofradio.com/dxld7042.txt

Hope this helps,

73 de John, KC2HMZ, KNY2VS
Tonawanda, NY, USA
Contributing Editor/Utility Communications
Popular Communications Magazine
http://www.kc2hmz.net

Old May 30th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 30 May 2007 07:56:35 +0200, JeroenK wrote:

Brian O wrote:
I'm picking up a cw station, call sign SVO, transmitting a long tone
then de SVO. 8424kHz at 407 GMT here in Texas. Anyone familiar what
this station is, where they are and what they do?
Thanks,

Thats a coastal rtty frequency, when not transmitting they often have such
a cw signal just so receivers can stay tuned in for when a rtty broadcast
begins.

Use a narrow filter and you will find the marker underneath the coastal
station

Old May 31st 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

yea right wrote:

Use a narrow filter and you will find the marker underneath the coastal
station

Could be, but it is the correct sign for that coastal station.

--
JeroenK
Old May 31st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What the hell is SVO? I am busy,watchin this Walter Brennan Humphrey
Bogart old,old movie flick on Radio tb,To Have and Have Not auld flick.
cuhulin