Old April 30th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,alt.ham-radio.marketplace

Default Signal/One MILSPEC 1030 HF transceiver for sale

All,

Our Signal/One MILSPEC 1030 transceiver is now for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230123960885 .

This is the 150 Watt version. I recently made several QSOs with it, on
all the bands that were open at the time, so we believe it to be
completely functional and know of no performance problems. It has
only minor scratches on the sides and top, and comes with the manual,
AC power cord, and 12 VDC power cord.

Sales notices are supposed to be upbeat, but it's difficult being
upbeat when you are selling such a wonderful rig!

73,

Ed Callaway, N4II
Motorola ARC, W4MOT

Old May 1st 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,alt.ham-radio.marketplace

wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

Our Signal/One MILSPEC 1030 transceiver is now for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230123960885 .

This is the 150 Watt version. I recently made several QSOs with it, on
all the bands that were open at the time, so we believe it to be
completely functional and know of no performance problems. It has
only minor scratches on the sides and top, and comes with the manual,
AC power cord, and 12 VDC power cord.

Sales notices are supposed to be upbeat, but it's difficult being
upbeat when you are selling such a wonderful rig!

73,

Ed Callaway, N4II
Motorola ARC, W4MOT

Oh Ed......my...my...my.....

Only $2000 for an OLD obsolete HF rig. Anyone can do better than that with a
phone call to a dealer on a NEW rig.
Your ad says "No reserve" but it STARTS at $2000........uh-huh....That's
called a "Reserve" Bunkie.
You say it works perfectly, but NO GUARANTEE once it leaves your
hands.....yeah right....
"Such a wonderful rig"...oh please....give us SOME credit......were not THAT
stupid.

Typical HAM radio operator....Wants to STEAL it when HE buys it..then wants
"Top Dollar" for it when he sells it.....

Old May 1st 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,alt.ham-radio.marketplace

wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

Our Signal/One MILSPEC 1030 transceiver is now for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230123960885 .

This is the 150 Watt version. I recently made several QSOs with it, on
all the bands that were open at the time, so we believe it to be
completely functional and know of no performance problems. It has
only minor scratches on the sides and top, and comes with the manual,
AC power cord, and 12 VDC power cord.

Sales notices are supposed to be upbeat, but it's difficult being
upbeat when you are selling such a wonderful rig!

73,

Ed Callaway, N4II
Motorola ARC, W4MOT

Prospective buyers read this....
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/648

Gives you an idea of what Signal/One is REALLY like....

Old May 1st 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,alt.ham-radio.marketplace

wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

Our Signal/One MILSPEC 1030 transceiver is now for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230123960885 .

This is the 150 Watt version. I recently made several QSOs with it, on
all the bands that were open at the time, so we believe it to be
completely functional and know of no performance problems. It has
only minor scratches on the sides and top, and comes with the manual,
AC power cord, and 12 VDC power cord.

Sales notices are supposed to be upbeat, but it's difficult being
upbeat when you are selling such a wonderful rig!

73,

Ed Callaway, N4II
Motorola ARC, W4MOT

Still another WONDERFUL article about Signal/One.....
http://www.k5og.com/S1%20History.htm

This is a MUST read before you plunk down $2000 on this electronic Edsel....

Old May 1st 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Tue, 01 May 2007 02:01:32 GMT, "Porgy Tirebiter"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Have you checked the current price of an OLD, obsolete 1956 Mercedes
Gull Wing these days? Just because it is old, doesn't mean it isn't
worth a great deal of money. Like a new ham radio, you can buy a
brand new 2007 Mercedes today for a lot less than the 1956 would
bring.

Old May 1st 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Dick" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 May 2007 02:01:32 GMT, "Porgy Tirebiter"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

The "gullwings" were a classic....the Signal/Ones are not. Read the CURRENT
reviews...
They are a short run trouble prone pain in the ass. Support was poor when
they were in business...non-existent now.
Would you rather have a Heathkit SB-104 instead?

Old May 1st 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Tue, 01 May 2007 03:40:06 GMT, "Porgy Tirebiter"
wrote:

The "gullwings" were a classic....the Signal/Ones are not. Read the CURRENT
reviews...
They are a short run trouble prone pain in the ass. Support was poor when
they were in business...non-existent now.
Would you rather have a Heathkit SB-104 instead?

No, I would rather have a Signal One. The reviews you referenced
don't support your view at all. In the first one, the guy was trying
to get an Icom 781 converted to a Signal One. He got hosed. The
radio up for auction has nothing to do with that conversion other than
it has the name. In the second one, the guy loves them. In my
opinion, it is a classic radio in the truest sense of the word.

Old May 1st 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

The "gullwings" were a classic....the Signal/Ones are not. Read the CURRENT
reviews...
They are a short run trouble prone pain in the ass. Support was poor when
they were in business...non-existent now.
Would you rather have a Heathkit SB-104 instead?

No, I would rather have a Signal One. The reviews you referenced
don't support your view at all. In the first one, the guy was trying
to get an Icom 781 converted to a Signal One. He got hosed. The
radio up for auction has nothing to do with that conversion other than
it has the name. In the second one, the guy loves them. In my
opinion, it is a classic radio in the truest sense of the word.

I don't even get how you can turn an Icom into a Signal One.

But obviously for collecting purposes, the Signal One is a standout.
I can't imagine that many being made, so that makes it collectible.
It was a great leap forward when it came out almost forty years ago.
Most rigs were still tube based, and the Signal One comes along all
solid state except for the PA, and featuring things that would take
some years for the competition to put into equipment. It was also
an American company, when the balance was shifting away from those
and to Japanese radio manufacturers.

It's always interesting to do some math when looking at old things.
The Signal One came out in 1969, which is 38 years ago. Go back
38 years before 1969, and that would be 1931. Very few people were
using rigs from 1931 in 1969 (though oddly some of the early Signal
One ads did have a comparison along those lines, and at least one
ad used 1920 style typeface in the headlines), and some might consider
the 1931 rigs collector's items in 1969 (though, there seemed far
less interest in collecting old radios then than now).

Michael VE2BVW

Old May 3rd 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,alt.ham-radio.marketplace

Porgy Tirebiter wrote:

Prospective buyers read this....
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/648

Gives you an idea of what Signal/One is REALLY like....

Yes, but this is what makes it a valuable collector's item.
--scott