Old March 19th 12, 06:20 PM
Junior Member

Default Mods - Please Delete This. Accidental Double Post

Hello everyone...

I have just purchased (10 bucks) a Lafayette HA-230 receiver.

Person I purchased it from says that it belonged to his dad and it worked fine when his dad used it seven years ago.

His dad died and he has had it stored for the seven years.

He says that he plugged it in and it lights up but he could not get it to receive. It did not appear to me however that he knew how to use it.

I would like some advice from you guys here that have used/worked on this model receiver.

After sitting for seven years, what should I do to the unit before trying to use it myself?

I did plug it in and the lights do come on, but I did not hook it up to an antenna. I wanted to check for scratchy switches on the front panel.

I found a couple that need to be cleaned and I read in a post last night that the band selector switch should be cleaned as well.

I am also wondering if there are any "known caps" (or other parts) that should be replaced right off the bat?

I am not a tech but have done minor repairs to CB radio equipment for many years. Thinks like replacing drivers, finals, caps, protection diodes, LED panels and the like.

I have no injection equipment or scopes, just my trusty VOM's. And of course, a dozen or so good soldering irons.

May I please have your comments/advise/suggestions on obvious things to do before I start using the radio?

Thank you very much for your time and help,
John

PS - What specs would be ok to use for an antenna just for a testing and working on before I put up a full blown 100' antenna?

Last edited by JohnD : March 19th 12 at 06:40 PM Reason: Accidental Double Post
Old March 21st 12, 01:31 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
[...]

A simple internet search would have shown you the known problems and cures.
I would invest in a complete set of new tubes and replace all the caps and check the power supply.

A 100' antenna probably isn't going to get you much.
You didn't say which band you wanted to receive.

http://www.televideo.ws/HA-230.html

Depending on which band you want to receive well - you might want to invest in a folded dipole antenna like a Barker and Williamson BWD 90 or a off center fed dipole about 230' long.

That radio was made at a time when AM was king and SSB was just coming into its own.
Today you will find that most all conversations are now using SSB except a couple of nets or a small segment of certain bands.