Old November 8th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default Newbie Reporting

Hi all. My name is Rich Greene and I've been involved in scanners since
back in the days of the old Bearcat crystal scanners and I had one of
the first portable scanners. I was in this newsgroup a few years ago
and somehow forgot to pick it back up in between software changes.

It's refreshing to see a un-moderated newsgroup without all the crap and
trolls. From what I can tell here, everyone is pretty much serious
about their hobby. I hope I can be of some help. I never throw any
scanning software or frequency listings away. I also have several old
portable scanners. A couple take crystals. I need to know if it's
appropriate for me to advertise them for sale or trade on this
newsgroup. I have a portable and desktop/AC/DC that I now use and don't
need all the extra crap. I also have a few extra BNC antennas.

I live in Olathe, Kansas and would like to meet other scanner folks in
my area. Just send me an email: .

For the past 15 or so years, I've been trying to compile the Mother of
all Frequency Lists. I get started and stop and lose what I've done. It
wouldn't be of any use now anyway with all the changes taking place.

I would like to know more about the 800 band changes taking place and
which scanners will be obsolete when the changes are complete. I know
there are some Radio Shack and Bearcat scanners that fall into that
category. I've been tossing around buying another portable with more
features to replace my Pro 83 which has served me well.

Now the big question: Is there a scanner out there that will scan all
legal public frequencies? I think I saw one back in the old CB days
(70's) that did that and you could either manually tune it or set up
scan channels. I would love to have such an item but it would have to
have a feature so you can use your PC to load and unload frequencies and
keep a database of sorts.

Now in your opinion, and I know this has been asked in the past, what
scanners are the best on the market - both types - portable and ad/dc?
I know people have different opinions and tend to be loyal to one brand
regardless of features. Other than the scanner above, I would like to
have the latest features on both scanners.

I think I saw a request for Police Call CD's? I think I still have a
few of the past issues and years if anyone is interested. I always
purchase the newest edition. Years ago up in Washington, there was a
fellow that compiled a local frequency directory which was really great.
Although it's over 20 years old, most of the data is still active.
That's what we really need. Good regional directories other than Police
Call which is hard to read. I would be willing to get together with
anyone near me to compile such a publication for Kansas and Missouri
areas. I'm retired and have a lot of time on my hands.

Thanks for your time. Future postings won't be as long and boring.

Rich

Reporting kookery ( Boo Transit) [email protected] Policy 3 September 29th 06 12:22 AM
Reporting kookery ( Boo Transit) [email protected] CB 3 September 29th 06 12:22 AM
Creating your very own Shortwave Listening (SWL) Reporting "Tag-Line" (Signature) File RHF Shortwave 0 October 17th 05 04:27 AM
Newbie abr Homebrew 20 September 29th 03 04:07 PM
Newbie abr Homebrew 0 September 28th 03 06:46 PM