Old April 23rd 14, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default Questions about an Icom IC-9100 with D-Star

On Monday, August 5, 2013 11:21:58 PM UTC-4, Fred McKenzie wrote:
I think I'm in over my head, trying to get D-Star to work with a new

IC-9100. My basic question is, how can I tell if the UT-121 D-Star

module is working?

Mine has the UT-121 installed. I can access menu M3, and everything

appears to work as far as programming is concerned. HOWEVER anytime I

transmit, the transmitter locks up. The only way I found to stop it

from transmitting is to turn off the radio. Listening to the output on

another FM radio, there is no modulation.

When tuned to a local D-Star repeater, a digital transmission causes

the radio's DV symbol to flash. Then the FM symbol starts flashing and

the DV symbol stops. There is never any indication of having received

data and the digital squelch never opens.

Questions:

1. If my UT-121 is working, what is the minimum that must be programmed

to get D-Star to work? Although I have entered data for the local

repeater, I think it should work with only MY and a UR of CQCQCQ in

order to transmit on a simplex frequency.

2. What happens when the DV mode is selected on an IC-9100 that does

NOT have the UT-121 installed? Does it ever show menu M3 when the MENU

button is pressed several times?

3. If Menu M3 does appear, can the various parameters (MY, UR, etc.) be

programmed?

4. If the microphone push-to-talk is pressed, does the transmitter lock

up, or does it stop transmitting when push-to-talk is released?

I have searched the web and found lots of helpful info on D-Star, but

nothing specific to my problem with an IC-9100. The radio is working

well in other modes.

Fred

K4DII

Old April 23rd 14, 09:37 PM
Senior Member

I think you are confused - you did not put Ferrite Choke Cores on your cables,, you put Ferrite beads.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_%28electronics%29

Radio Shack Ferrite beads are not manufactured to any sort of specifications - hence you would be just as well off using Cheerio's.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Old April 10th 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Le lundi 5 août 2013 23:21:58 UTC-4, Fred McKenzie a écrit*:
[...]

I have the same problem. I remove the ut-121 and place another tape double face. i test....

Old April 11th 16, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Jeandrolet-

The solution was to repeatedly re-install the UT-121 module until the
transmitter did not lock-up. I think it was the fifth try that it
worked for me. I kept the original double-face tape.

D-Star has been working fine ever since.

Good luck.

73, Fred
K4DII