Old October 18th 05, 09:00 AM
David

Default Diameter of cable in coaxial Collinear antenna

Hi,

I am in the process of making a couple of 9dB Collinear antennas for 920
MHz.

I was wondering if the diameter of the coax is significant.

The design is simply 1/2 wavelength sections soldered centre to braid
with a 1/4 wave radiator at the top and a 1/4 wave sleeve choke and a
few ferrite toroid baluns at the bottom. The original design uses RG58
coax but I find this difficult to solder in short lengths and the
dielectric melts if the iron is left on too long. Instead I am using
RG174 PFTE dielectric. The Vp for both is still 0.66.

Thanks for any info

Regards

David
Old October 19th 05, 12:05 AM
Bob Nielsen

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:00:12 +0000, David wrote:

Hi,

I am in the process of making a couple of 9dB Collinear antennas for 920
MHz.

I was wondering if the diameter of the coax is significant.

The design is simply 1/2 wavelength sections soldered centre to braid
with a 1/4 wave radiator at the top and a 1/4 wave sleeve choke and a
few ferrite toroid baluns at the bottom. The original design uses RG58
coax but I find this difficult to solder in short lengths and the
dielectric melts if the iron is left on too long. Instead I am using
RG174 PFTE dielectric. The Vp for both is still 0.66.

The Vp for PFTE is more like 0.695. I would suggest semi-rigid for this
application.

Bob, N7XY

Old October 19th 05, 12:08 AM
David

Bob,

Thanks for your response. Why would you recommend semi-rigid ?

Old October 19th 05, 02:27 AM
Bob Nielsen

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:08:42 +0000, David wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for your response. Why would you recommend semi-rigid ?

In my experience, you can more precisely control the length of the tubing
than with a braid shield. There is some mechanical rigidity advantage, as
well, although that isn't a big factor if you use some sort of dielectric
tube to contain the antenna.

Bob Nielsen wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:00:12 +0000, David wrote:

Hi,

I am in the process of making a couple of 9dB Collinear antennas for 920
MHz.

I was wondering if the diameter of the coax is significant.

The design is simply 1/2 wavelength sections soldered centre to braid
with a 1/4 wave radiator at the top and a 1/4 wave sleeve choke and a
few ferrite toroid baluns at the bottom. The original design uses RG58
coax but I find this difficult to solder in short lengths and the
dielectric melts if the iron is left on too long. Instead I am using
RG174 PFTE dielectric. The Vp for both is still 0.66.

The Vp for PFTE is more like 0.695. I would suggest semi-rigid for this
application.

Bob, N7XY

Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM
Antenna cable loss query AES/newspost Scanner 7 December 11th 03 11:55 PM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM