Old June 10th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Boborato

Default FM without 'pink noise'

Hi group.

I wanna know how can I get the FM signal without that nasty 'pink' noise.

I'm not using any kind of external antenna.

Greetings!!

Old June 10th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ken Bessler

. ..

Boborato wrote:
Hi group.

I wanna know how can I get the FM signal without that nasty 'pink'

noise.

I'm not using any kind of external antenna.

Greetings!!

I just used NCH tone generator to make pink noise - sounds
like what you hear on a AM when you open the squelch. I can
email you a sample if you'd like. :-)

Ken

Old June 10th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Fry

"Boborato"
I wanna know how can I get the FM signal without that
nasty 'pink' noise. I'm not using any kind of external antenna.

________________

An FM receiver needs a certain minimum level of r-f voltage at its antenna
input terminals to meet its noise performance specification. Stereo mode
requires more r-f than monaural, for the same S/N at the receiver output.

No doubt if you use an antenna capable of giving your receiver the r-f input
signal it needs, your noise level will drop to inaudibility (at least with
normal programming).

RF

Old June 10th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
TSnCS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

Then compare to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise

. ..

Old June 10th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
g. beat

"Richard Fry" wrote in message
"Boborato"
I wanna know how can I get the FM signal without that
nasty 'pink' noise. I'm not using any kind of external antenna.

________________

An FM receiver needs a certain minimum level of r-f voltage at its antenna
input terminals to meet its noise performance specification. Stereo mode
requires more r-f than monaural, for the same S/N at the receiver output.

No doubt if you use an antenna capable of giving your receiver the r-f
input signal it needs, your noise level will drop to inaudibility (at
least with normal programming).

RF

In addition to Richard's comments, many higher quality FM receivers employ a
"muting" switch on the front panel.
The Kenwood KT-8300 has 2 selectable mute settings in addition to off
while the NAD 4020B has a single setting with an on/off switch.

gb

Old June 10th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

Ken Bessler wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. ..

Pray tell, in 50+ years of ham radio I have never heard 'pink noise'.

What is it??

SNIPPED

I just used NCH tone generator to make pink noise - sounds
like what you hear on a AM when you open the squelch. I can
email you a sample if you'd like. :-)

Ken

For years we called that 'white' noise or 'background' noise.

Now, with a full quieting signal, 20 uv, if it's being heard on FM I'd suspect
the discriminator or limiter circuits. I'd start looking at the limiter.

Old June 10th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W3JDR

Dave,

If you've never heard of 'pink' noise, then you're probably not a student of
noise.

In noise parlance, 'white' noise is the term that is usually used for
non-bandlimited noise (ie, 'broadband noise'). "Pink' noise, on the other
hand, is a term used to refer to bandlimited noise. In practice, anything
that comes out of the audio channel of a communications receiver is really
'pink' noise, as the bandwidth is limited to a few KHz. On the other hand,
the noise that is incident at the antenna or generated in the front-end is
much broader in bandwidth and is more deserving of the term 'white' noise.

Joe
W3JDR

. ..

Old June 10th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

White noise has a uniformly distributed power spectrum.

Pink noise has a spectrum which smoothly decreases in power with
increasing frequency. That is, power is concentrated at the low
frequency (or red) end of the spectrum.

In a narrow band of audio frequencies they both sound the same. There
is no detectable difference between the high and low frequency ends of
the narrow band.

The two terms are usually applied to very wideband communications
systems, ie., from VLF to UHF.

Purely randomly generated noise is described as white. Its
statistical properties are defined as having a Gaussian amplitude
distribution. It is by far the most common natural source of noise.

See Google for the Gaussian Distribution or Function.

It is simple enough : Exp( - x*x ) ).

It occurs throughout Science, Engineering, Medicine, Economics,
Statistics and in all facets of human activities, life on this Planet
and dead materials.

Even politics. It may be said that Blair and Bush lie in the extreme
tail of the Gaussian Distribution. Which of the two tails I have been
unable to fathom.
----
Reg.