Old May 13th 04, 03:56 PM
GeorgeF

Default MilAir Monitoring from KeyWest - Lots of Comms!

Tuesday morning I decided to take a couple days and spend at the Key
West, FL. Of course I had to bring some scanners, 2 BC785's, BC780,
BC250, plus my 144/440 dualbander to chat with some ham friends along
the way…..

Before getting to the Keys I had thought activity should be good but I
just didn't realize how good! Below are my logs, since I was driving or
at least in my pickup it wasn't always easy to write down much detail
about each transmission. But there are enough freqs and callsigns to
give you an idea of what you would hear if you came to the Keys. By all
means, if you're traveling to the Keys and want to give MilAir scanning
a try PLEASE program in the freqs found in the logs below, it will be
non stop activity! I'm sure if I wrote down all that I heard this log
would be at least 5 times longer!

Not only is MilAir scanning great from down here but so is the aviation
activity you'll see if you just look up! All day long many F/A-18's
(call sign AMBUSH) arriving and departing from NAS Key West, from my
motel room I had an excellent view. This afternoon got to see a CH-53
drop 5 parajumpers into the Gulf. And it was interesting to see the
massive VHF/UHF antenna arrays located at Truman Annex of NAS Key West
which is a small area located on the far west side of KeyWest. Looks
like 100 TV Yagi ants pointed towards Cuba (only 90 miles away), I bet
it isn't the Key West Cable Company and I'm sure they're not receiving CNN!

The MilAirComms.com Log report for 5/11/2004
All times are Eastern Time, frequencies in MHz and
unless other wise noted modulation type is AM.
SENTRY 51
Time: wkg MacDill Metrol
Frequency: 344.6000 (METRO)

unid
Time:
Frequency: 370.8500 (Tarpon Rng?)

unid
Time:
Frequency: 350.8000 (GCA Key West NAS)

unid
Time:
Frequency: 306.9000 (Miami Cntr)

unid
Time: working Avon Park rng
Frequency: 138.1250 (A/A)

unid
Time: working Avon Park rng
Frequency: 139.8000 (A/A)

Omaha 718
Time:
Frequency: 282.4250 (US Customs)

unid
Time:
Frequency: 339.3000 (NORAD)

unid
Time:
Frequency: 283.7000 (AvonPark rng)

AMBUSH (visually confirmed as F/A-18's)
Time: inbound to KeyWest NAS
Frequency: 289.4000 (Key West NAS Approach)

unid
Time:
Frequency: 388.9500 (NORAD)

unid
Time: ACM
Frequency: 300.1250 (NORAD?)

unid
Time: ACM
Frequency: 344.2000 (Tarpon Rng)

unid
Time: ACM
Frequency: 237.8000 (Tarpon Rng)

PITBULL; CHEAPSHOT
Time:
Frequency: 250.6000 (Tarpon Rng)

unid
Time: Have Quick Ticks/Tones
Frequency: 341.7500

The MilAirComms.com Log report for 5/12/2004

Various security units
Time:
Frequency: 138.6250 FM (NAS Key West Base Security)

GAMBLER 41; NIGHT31; CHEAPSHOT;
Time: 0830 Entering W-465A
Frequency: 344.2000 (Tarpon Rng); 318.5000 (Tarpon Rng); 260.6000
(Tarpon Rng Descrete, possible Button 6)

AMBUSH ##
Time: 0840
Frequency: 350.8000 (Key West NAS Gnd)

unid
Time: 0840
Frequency: 289.4000 (Key West NAS App.)

OAKGROVE
Time: 0845 calling for unid aircraft at 3,600', didn't check but
xmisstion might have been on 121.5000 as well.
Frequency: 243.0000 (Emergency)

COBRA ##
Time: 0845 found freq during search
Frequency: 374.3000 (Tarpon Rng Descrete?)

unid
Time: 0845 ACM
Frequency: 339.5000 (Tarpon Rng?)

AMBUSH21, 23
Time: 0850
Frequency: 275.4000 (Tarpon Rng)

AMBUSH21, 23
Time: 0850 found freq during search
Frequency: 341.5000 (?? possible a/a, found while searching)

VIDAR 72
Time: 0910
Frequency: 289.4000 (Key West NAS App.)

SNAKE ## (same snakes as in FANG snakes?)
Time: 0915
Frequency: 344.2000 (Tarpon Rng)

GAMBLER
Time: 0915
Frequency: 235.9000 (NORAD)

AMBUSH; VAMPIRE; SHACKLE
Time: 1204
Frequency: 250.6000 (Tarpon Rng)

unid
Time: 1320 "sleepy is dehydrated", then lat/long were given but
since I was driving I didn't write them down.
Frequency: 283.7000 (AvonPark?)

Navy Ship HUNTER
Time: 1357 "US Navy Ship Hunter getting underway, any concerned
traffic contact HUNTER on CH 16"
Frequency: 156.8000 (Marine CH 16)

unid
Time: 1358
Frequency: 364.2000 (JSTARS?)

CRASH RESCUE 1; NAS KeyWest Tower
Time: 1400 CRASH 1 was informed that a CH-53, Nose Number 408 was
inbound for RWY 13 (don't know if there was an IFE or not)
Frequency: 140.0250 FM (NAS Key West Fire)

DARKSTAR
Time: 1410
Frequency: 265.4000 (NORAD)

unid, but seen F-18 (possibly AMBUSH) heading towards NAS from the
Time: 1415
Frequency: 289.4000 (NAS Key West App)

George - Monitoring from Daytona Beach (actually KeyWest on 5/11 & 5/12,
WEBSITE: http://www.MilAirComms.com
(c) 2004 By G. W. Fetter. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this log maybe
reprinted or reproduced in electronic form or print without my permission.