Old June 27th 04, 04:10 AM
Mike Andrews

Default _Interesting_ antenna: the "RUZ"

I just got home from Doing My Part at the local club's Field Day site.
My part involved taking a receiver out to feed another gyu's RTTY
converter, which fed Yet Another Guy's Teletype Model-15, so we could
print the ARRL Field Day Message. That was good for 100 points, IIRC.

I was given a 20M dipole to use, strung about 30 feet up between some
trees. Tried to copy RTTY on 20M from the dipole, with really cruddy
results. A guy offers this Weird Thing with an SO-23k connector. I
hook a hundred-foot feedlike to it and put it on a picnic table that
far away, and all of a sudden the S4-5 stations are S6-8, and I'm
getting _LOTS_ better copy.

Come 0100Z, I get solid copy from that antenna to a disk file on a PC.
Just before, we tried the dipole again: cruddy, lots of QSB and QRN.

It's described on http://www.qsl.net/ka5ruz/. He calls it the "RUZ"
antenna. I prefer to call it the "CPW" antenna: "Can't Possibly Work".
But it does. I'm fairly well impressed, folks. You ight want to have
a look.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin
Old June 27th 04, 09:07 AM
Gregg

Looks like the E-field generator section of a CFA (Cross-Field Antenna).

Anybody else notice this?

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old June 27th 04, 11:14 PM
Gregg

Behold, Gregg signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Looks like the E-field generator section of a CFA (Cross-Field Antenna).

Anybody else notice this?

Duhhhh.....the page took 5 minutes to load and I see he says it's related
to the CFA.

Old June 27th 04, 11:19 PM
Sverre Holm

It's described on http://www.qsl.net/ka5ruz/. He calls it the "RUZ"
antenna.

It looks fairly simple to build, simpler than other CFA or EH antenna
descriptions I have ssen, so maybe I will give it a try this summer?

"The proof of the pudding lies in the eating"

--
Sverre Holm, LA3ZA
---------------------------------

Old July 13th 04, 10:43 AM
Sverre Holm

It's described on http://www.qsl.net/ka5ruz/. He calls it the "RUZ"
antenna.

It looks fairly simple to build, simpler than other CFA or EH antenna
descriptions I have seen, so maybe I will give it a try this summer?

Well, I built it. It gives an SWR equivalent to having an unterminated
coaxial cable - in the order of 1:6 or 1:10, i.e. the maximum that I can
measure. I first tried it with 10 m coax, about half wavelength on 20 m,
then I thought I would try it with around a quarter-wave (~5 m) to transform
the high impedance to a low one. That didn't help much.

However, my K2 antenna tuner can tune the antenna with 5 m cable and I can
hear signals - even a rare one like OJ0 (not too far from LA-land!), but it
is several S-points under my 75 horizontal loop in signal strength. I
haven't tried to transmit yet.

--
Sverre Holm, LA3ZA
---------------------------------

Old July 15th 04, 02:59 AM
Andy Axnot

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:43:00 +0200, Sverre Holm wrote:

It's described on http://www.qsl.net/ka5ruz/. He calls it the "RUZ"
antenna.

It looks fairly simple to build, simpler than other CFA or EH antenna
descriptions I have seen, so maybe I will give it a try this summer?

Well, I built it. It gives an SWR equivalent to having an unterminated
coaxial cable - in the order of 1:6 or 1:10, i.e. the maximum that I can
measure. I first tried it with 10 m coax, about half wavelength on 20 m,
then I thought I would try it with around a quarter-wave (~5 m) to transform
the high impedance to a low one. That didn't help much.

However, my K2 antenna tuner can tune the antenna with 5 m cable and I can
hear signals - even a rare one like OJ0 (not too far from LA-land!), but it
is several S-points under my 75 horizontal loop in signal strength. I
haven't tried to transmit yet.

Pity.

I emailed KA5RUZ re the antenna. He emailed a very nice response
encouraging me to try it, but he gave no further technical info.

Oh, well. Maybe I'll give STLs a try when I can.

Andy