Old June 11th 05, 07:52 AM

Default GMRS radios?

Hi, everyone-

I don't know if this is the right group for my question, but I can't
find any other groups to ask.

I've been trying to do research online to find the best pair of GMRS
radios for vacation/travel use. I'm building the $80 FCC license fee
into my figures, and have about $160-170 to spend, so the pair of
radios should cost no more than $80-90.

I've seen 2 Motorola models that look good... the T5950, and the
T7400R. The 5950 has been out for quite a while, and several users
have given it good reviews. The T7400R has virtually NO reviews,
though it seems to have been out for several months.

So why would I be interested in the 7400? It's 2 Watts, and claims a
greater range (7 miles) than the 5950. But I've only been able to find
three reviews for it. One says it's the best thing since sliced bread,
and two others (which were written last year) just say it's not
available yet.

Does anybody have any experience with these radios, or feel that
another model is the best out there in the $80-90 range (per pair)?

It's been very frustrating trying to find any information or reviews on
these things. Usually I enjoy doing web research on tech products
before buying, but this search has been very tedious. Thanks for any
help you can provide!

-Mark

Old June 11th 05, 02:32 PM
Dick

The best source for information on GMRS is
http://www.popularwireless.com./ Click on Personal Wireless Bulletin
Board in the upper right corner.

Dick

Old June 11th 05, 03:55 PM

Wow, thanks everyone!

I just took a look at the MURS radio, and my only concern would be
whether it's compatible with FRS/GMRS units. My family is taking a
trip to the beach in August, and 2 cars have FRS/GMRS radios... and we
need to talk to them.

Thank you, Dick, for the link to Popular Wireless' GMRS forum! I've
been to his site in my search, but had missed the GMRS Forums entirely.
Signing up now!

-Mark

Old June 11th 05, 05:01 PM
Gary S.

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:42:52 GMT, "Travis Jordan"

I just took a look at the MURS radio, and my only concern would be
whether it's compatible with FRS/GMRS units. My family is taking a
trip to the beach in August, and 2 cars have FRS/GMRS radios... and we
need to talk to them.

Nope, they are not compatible, so I guess that idea is out.

Quite true.

While there are disadvantages to the FRS/GMRS radios, one big plus is
how many other people already have them.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old June 11th 05, 06:47 PM
Travis Jordan

Gary S. wrote:
While there are disadvantages to the FRS/GMRS radios, one big plus is
how many other people already have them.

Yep, I've even thought about exending the TX/RX coverage on one of my
synthesized UHF HT's to cover FRS/GMRS bands. Might come in handy one
day.

Old June 11th 05, 07:30 PM
Gary S.

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:47:15 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Gary S. wrote:
While there are disadvantages to the FRS/GMRS radios, one big plus is
how many other people already have them.

Yep, I've even thought about exending the TX/RX coverage on one of my
synthesized UHF HT's to cover FRS/GMRS bands. Might come in handy one
day.

A completely legal alternative is with a ham HT, with extended RX and
a scanning function, is to include the FRS/GMRS frequencies (with any
CTCSS code on receive being used) and have a separate GMRS rig with
you, but turned off.

The FRS/GMRS band is far enough from the 440 band that an antenna
optimized for one may have a bit of SWR on the other.

For some public service events, we have considered a two level
network, with hams doing the more than a mile comms, and non-hams with
FRS doing the close range, relaying through the hams as needed.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Old June 11th 05, 07:38 PM
Dick

On 11 Jun 2005 07:55:10 -0700, "
wrote:

Wow, thanks everyone!

I just took a look at the MURS radio, and my only concern would be
whether it's compatible with FRS/GMRS units. My family is taking a
trip to the beach in August, and 2 cars have FRS/GMRS radios... and we
need to talk to them.

Thank you, Dick, for the link to Popular Wireless' GMRS forum! I've
been to his site in my search, but had missed the GMRS Forums entirely.
Signing up now!

-Mark

While I would much prefer GMRS over FRS because of the power
capability, if you only want coverage between cars while traveling
together, FRS works just fine for that purpose. Of course ham radio
is even better, but then you have another set of hurdles.

Dick

Old June 11th 05, 08:14 PM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:30:06 GMT, Gary S. wrote:

For some public service events, we have considered a two level
network, with hams doing the more than a mile comms, and non-hams with
FRS doing the close range, relaying through the hams as needed.

That is exactly the scheme that we use in Washington County
(Suburban Portland, OR) with the ARES/RACES and the CERT teams.
(ARES and RACES are co-contiguous here, not separate groups.)

ARES = Ameater Radio Emergency Service - area-wide and long-haul
inter- and intra-agency communications only. Control remains with
amateur group leadership acting within Memoranda of Understanding.

CERT = Civilian Emergency Response Team - first aid, traffic and
access control, light rescue, and victim assistance responsibilities
supported by on-scene communications. CERT teams are sponsored
directly and controlled by local emergency management officials. A
number of CERT members have gone on to study and qualify for amateur
radio licenses.

RACES = Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service - communications under
control of emergency management officials used to supplement or
replace their communications facilities, used after declaration of
civil emergency by competent authorities.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

FS: GMRS and FRS radios Mike CB 2 November 29th 04 03:38 AM
Sneaking tiny radios into North Korea Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 November 13th 04 06:02 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 01:23 PM
MILITARY USES FRS RADIOS IN BOSNIA john private smith Swap 14 December 9th 03 03:50 PM
WTB - RS 19-903 GMRS Radios Dick Swap 0 September 18th 03 01:08 AM