Old July 7th 05, 09:58 AM
Mark

Default Chiming bell on 5744 kHz...

Hi...

Right now, at 08:46 July 7 2005 UTC, I hear a "bell" chiming on 5744 kHz,

USB.

There are about seven "chimes" every five seconds or so. The pitch of the

chime is a 'G' below middle 'C'. There's a reasonable amount of fade on this

signal, and its not very strong here in Auckland.

A WUN search reveals nothing significant.

Any ideas?

Mark.

Auckland

New Zealand.

Old July 8th 05, 03:00 AM
Panopticon

In retrospect this is rather interesting:

"08:46 UTC"? What time did the London bombings begin?

"about seven 'chimes' every five seconds" Seven/Seven = Date 7th July?

Hmmm, I wonder if the frequency "5744" can be made to fit this coincidence?

Old July 8th 05, 06:33 AM
Panopticon

"The pitch of the chime is a 'G' below middle 'C'."

I'm no musician. What note does "Big Ben" in London play?

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi...

Right now, at 08:46 July 7 2005 UTC, I hear a "bell" chiming on 5744

kHz,

USB.

There are about seven "chimes" every five seconds or so. There's a

Old July 8th 05, 12:17 PM
Mark

"Panopticon" asked in message
"The pitch of the chime is a 'G' below middle 'C'."

I'm no musician. What note does "Big Ben" in London play?

Mr. Panopticon,

For an explanation of the pitch of the note played by "Big Ben", please see
http://www.hibberts.co.uk/strike.htm

For your convenience, an extract of the pertinent information follows:

"Big Ben has a nominal [pitch] of about 335Hz (it is doubletted) which in
musical notation is E + 27 cents. Actually, the dominant note we hear with
this bell is a secondary strike of about 440Hz, i.e. an A, based on a
partial above the octave nominal with a frequency of 883Hz"

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old July 8th 05, 06:39 PM

Mark wrote:

For an explanation of the pitch of the note played by "Big Ben", please
see
http://www.hibberts.co.uk/stri ke.htm

For your convenience, an extract of the pertinent information follows:

"Big Ben has a nominal [pitch] of about 335Hz (it is doubletted) which
in
musical notation is E + 27 cents. Actually, the dominant note we hear
with
this bell is a secondary strike of about 440Hz, i.e. an A, based on a
partial above the octave nominal with a frequency of 883Hz"

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.
As a long time guitarist I found the link fascinating.
I attended a Christmas service with hand bells, and
thought they sounded "odd". Odd as in I noticed
the bells didn't sound like "pure" notes. I now understand,
to some degree at least, why.

I also found it interesting that Rayleigh also made breakthroughs
in understanding how light "waves:, and thus radio, behaves.

Terry