Old June 14th 04, 02:23 PM
Patrick Turner

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Snip

The discussion has everything to do with listening to the BCB,
and radio theory.

If you would spend time reading the group you would see the several
cross posted threads don't mesh well with rec.radio.shortwave. The group
is generally about listening to SW, BCB and sometimes long wave. There
is discussions about radios specifications, antennas and receiving
challenges. Other topics revolve around the programming or hearing
pirates and the like. Yes the group goes off topic a lot on what people
listen to on short wave.

There is no good reason to cross post these threads to three groups.

I think you are outnumbered.

Talks on BCB receiver designs cannot be bad for all three groups IMHO.

Don't cross post unless there is a good reason to do so is a good
general rule to follow.

Some think there *is* a good reason.

Three threads were cross posted at nearly the same time from
rec.antiques.radio+phono, rec.audio.tubes. If I don't speak up why
should I expect it to stop?

Just be happy you ain't got all these nitwits raving on about
politics, terrorists, etc, ad nausem.

Patrick Turner.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old June 14th 04, 02:39 PM
Jon Noring

Telamon wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

The discussion has everything to do with listening to the BCB,
and radio theory.

If you would spend time reading the group you would see the several
cross posted threads don't mesh well with rec.radio.shortwave. The
group is generally about listening to SW, BCB and sometimes long
wave. There is discussions about radios specifications, antennas and
receiving challenges. Other topics revolve around the programming or
hearing pirates and the like. Yes the group goes off topic a lot on
what people listen to on short wave.

There is no good reason to cross post these threads to three groups.

I'm the one who started and cross-posted the related topics (of
building a tube-based AM receiver) to the three newsgroups, including
rec.radio.shortwave. I have read r.r.s. for a long time, and the start
of the thread did cross over into r.r.s. land since I was interested
in the tube design also being suitable for MW DX use, thus reaching
out to MW DXers interested in this who otherwise don't read the other
two newsgroups (and indeed a few people from r.r.s. chimed in saying
they were quite interested in this general thread.)

It is clear the thread was suitably on-topic for r.r.s., as it was
on-topic for the other groups. It's definitely more on-topic to
r.r.s. than the political crap which pervades r.r.s. (I personally
think that the r.r.s. crowd should begin the long process to add
moderation to the group, to get rid of the garbage -- or simply
create a moderated YahooGroup and tell everyone we're moving there.)

Of course, like all threads, they evolve. And the last couple days the
focus has changed towards building a tube tuner most suitable for
local high-powered stations, which is of less interest to the r.r.s.
crowd.

Nevertheless, I believe the threads are sufficiently on-topic to
r.r.s. to not warrant some pro-active effort to try to stop. And as
Patrick noted, all threads die of old-age, to be replaced by new
threads. That's the dynamics of newsgroups (I've created and moderated
dozens of newsgroups in the last 15 years, so I am very aware of their
dynamics, which includes the birth and death of discussion threads.)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of the "channel TRF"
tube tuner (and spinoff topics)!

Jon Noring
Old June 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Frank Dresser

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
PT,

Fair Play is after all FAIR PLAY !

When you're right, you're right!

I guess we all at RRS should start posting Reception Reports to:

* rec.antiques.radio+phono

Sure, what are you hearing on your Scott? Is it sensitive? Selective?
How's the audio fidelity?

* rec.audio.tubes

Yes, just who is transmitting good wideband AM? I'm sure they want to know!

Just for the Fun of It ~ RHF
.
.

If you're hearing good wideband audio on your Collins R-390, don't forget to
share it with the rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors group.

Frank Dresser

Old June 14th 04, 04:44 PM
David

No highs.

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:50:04 +1000, Patrick Turner
wrote:

David wrote:

The fixed-step (10 kHz) tuner is what killed music on AM radio. You
can get a much more pleasant sound by detuning a few 100 Hz. This PLL
crap sounds like ****.

Howcome?

Patrick Turner

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:36:21 GMT, Jon Noring wrote:

[Following up on a thread dating back to January, similar to one I
started recently. Responding to Patrick Turner's comments.]

Patrick Turner wrote in January 2004:
Jerry Wang wrote:

1. Even it is a single channel [AM] receiver, I would still suggest
the use of one or two intermediate frequency (IF) stages. Because
to achieve good sensitivity you need to have enough gain.

Since you only want one channel, there is no need for a frequency
converter or any IFTs or IF amps, and a TRF with four tuned circuits
in the form of two critically coupled RF trannies will do nicely.

Interesting.

As I noted in a recent message, it is very intriguing to build a
modernized, high-performance AM tube tuner using the "channel"
approach. This takes advantage of the fact that licensed broadcasters
today must broadcast on specific frequencies, every 10 khz in North
America and 9 khz in Europe and elsewhere. So, instead of trying to
be able to continuously tune across the BCB spectrum, we can think
outside the box for the moment and consider the alternative of
building reasonably optimized tuning circuits for each listened-to
frequency.

Old June 14th 04, 08:30 PM
RHF

= = = (John Byrns) wrote in message
= = = ...
In article
, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

In rec.antiques.radio+phono Telamon
wrote:
I've been reading it from here to and I'm not happy.

Maybe you should not read it instead of trying to speak for people that
don't want you to speak for them.

Oh come on now and be a good net citizen and not cross post.

If cross posting is bad net citizenship why is it a feature of usenet in
the first place?

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,
http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

JB,

Cross-Posting is like the Coloring Book and Crayons "Test"
for 5 Year Old 'little' Boys.

The ones that can Color-within-the-Lines are consider "AT" Grade.
[ Normal Development. ]

The ones that 'scribble everywhere' are identified for special
attention and/or medication.

The "Test" is given again in various forms at 8, 11 and 14 Years
of Age to little Boys.

Many of the ones who still refuse to Color-within-the Lines by
Age 14 can be found in a Juvenile Custody Facility.
{Lack of Self-Control and/or Acting Out Anti-Social Behavior}

~ RHF

..
Old June 14th 04, 08:40 PM
John Byrns

In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

= = =
(John Byrns) wrote in message
= = = ...
In article
, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
[...]

So what you are saying is that Usenet is some kind of giant testing
facility for boys past the age of 14, else why have the cross posting
facility in the first place? What about little girls, do they get a free
pass?

Old June 14th 04, 09:52 PM
Randy and/or Sherry

(RHF) wrote:

Cross-Posting is like the Coloring Book and Crayons "Test"
for 5 Year Old 'little' Boys.

The ones that can Color-within-the-Lines are consider "AT" Grade.
[ Normal Development. ]

The ones that 'scribble everywhere' are identified for special
attention and/or medication.

The "Test" is given again in various forms at 8, 11 and 14 Years
of Age to little Boys.

Many of the ones who still refuse to Color-within-the Lines by
Age 14 can be found in a Juvenile Custody Facility.
{Lack of Self-Control and/or Acting Out Anti-Social Behavior}

~ RHF

The song "Flowers are Red" (Harry Chapin) expresses extremely well how I
- and many others -- feel about such "coloring-book" nonsense... the
terrible smothering of creativity by those blind to it... or worse -
jealous of it...

You might give it a listen...

Cross posting: Let's see - we have roughly 20 serious DX radios in the
house; several VERY good AM HiFi sets (& still trying to find my Fisher
TA-600); 50+ general radio sets that were manufacturerd in the 20's 30's
40's 50' 60's and 70's (what no radio newer? nope). Have tube
mono-blocks and tube stereo amps (some williamsons); JBLs from the 50's
60's & 70's; some vintage Sansui stuff; some decent R-R gear; Hammond
A-100 w/Leslie 122 (three decent power (tube) amps between the two -
just overhauled the leslie amp); Let's see - I've logged 80+ countries
(R-390; R390A; R391; NC-120 (RAO-6); Philco 37-640; Zenith 5F233;
Silvertone 7038; GE-P990); logged all 50 states on BCB; and play with a
5000W (AM) transmitter (daytime - a bit less after sundown ;-) which
just happens to be on the (drum roll please) AM / BCB dial...

So I'd say that's tube stuff, (listening, designing, just starring at
the glow); Shortwave (did I mention we've been listening to RTTY since
the early 70s? - yeah - and I wish I'd never sold my model 28); antique
radio-phono - and most of the radios in the house are 50+ years old -
and yes - there are several phonos here from a V-15III equipped SL-95 -
to a Signet equipped SL-1300 (with the usual broken cuing mech). are
appropriate groups... yet I tend to stay in only one. Point Jon was
making - he wanted to tap talent / opinions from a broad pool...

Seems to me - that talking about a HiFi AM receiver (last time I
listened there was still a lot of AM on 19M) using tubes covers the
above mentioned groups pretty well... esp. if one like to listen to OTR
through their personal broadcaster over their HiFi receiver... (yeah not
everyone gets to play with a 5KW Harris - but while I can tweak the crap
out of it - I seldom get to pick what goes out over the air - difference
in being the "engineer" and the "owner"... (though I do run some stuff
while performing "maintenance" on ocassion big grin!!!!!

Lighten up - ain't "your" group.
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com

Old June 15th 04, 04:58 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Snip

The discussion has everything to do with listening to the BCB,
and radio theory.

If you would spend time reading the group you would see the several
cross posted threads don't mesh well with rec.radio.shortwave. The group
is generally about listening to SW, BCB and sometimes long wave. There
is discussions about radios specifications, antennas and receiving
challenges. Other topics revolve around the programming or hearing
pirates and the like. Yes the group goes off topic a lot on what people
listen to on short wave.

There is no good reason to cross post these threads to three groups.

I think you are outnumbered.

Talks on BCB receiver designs cannot be bad for all three groups IMHO.

I don't care about your opinion and did not ask for it. I don't care if
other people posting from the other rec.antiques.radio+phono or
rec.audio.tubes think as you do.

I'm not interested in a debate about cross posting.

I have made a repeated, polite requests for this to stop so are you guys
from rec.antiques.radio+phono or rec.audio.tubes going to behave or not?

Please respond as to whether you will stop or not that's all I want to
know.

This is it guys I'm not asking again.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 15th 04, 05:23 AM
RHF

= = = (John Byrns) wrote in message
= = = ...
In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

= = =
(John Byrns) wrote in message
= = = ...
In article
, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
[...]

Cross Posting is just one simple outlet for some to
'act-out' Non-Violent Anti-Social Behavior )

~ RHF

..