Old August 25th 04, 12:11 PM
John

Default Advice on buying a scanner

I'm into Ham Radio, but am now also interested in scanning. Here's my
situation, I want to buy a scanner for use in the Lancaster County, PA
and surrounding areas, even surrounding states. I've read about
Pennsylvania's switch to an M/A Com Opensky system and realize that no
scanner on the market today will be able to track that (correct me if
I'm wrong). I'm considering a
Uniden BC250D or BC296D and would like to buy one now, but don't want
to spend the money on one and have to upgrade it if an Opensky
compatible scanner hits the market soon. I've seen lots of frequency
listings on the web, but I'm not sure if what I can receive in my area
now will require a digital 3600 baud ACPO 25, a digital 9600 baud ACPO
25, or even a non-digital. Basically, if a digital scanner won't do
much for me now, I'll skip that and buy a non digital scanner and save
some money for later when an Opensky scanner may become available.
Maybe the BC250D will be good for my area right now and the BC296D
would be a waste of money because I won't be able to take use of its
9600 baud capabilities. Maybe even a different scanner would be a
better choice. Anyone familiar with my area (i.e. frequencies in use,
type of system in use, digital 3600 baud or 9600 baud in use, scanners
available to fit my area, etc)?

John