Old April 27th 04, 02:59 AM
Dave

Default Help! IC-706MKIIg has started turning itself off!

I have a IC-706-mkIIg that I have owned for about three years that has
always worked perfectly.

It recently has started to power itself off for no apparent reason
after being on for a minute or two. It behaves as if it is going
through the automatic shutdown which is set for 60 minutes of no
activity.

When it is on, it seems to be functioning normaly, transmits and
receives fine.

I thought at first that maybe the CPU just got scrambled so I tried a
complete power-on reset to reset the CPU but it still does it. There
is no obvious sign of overheating and my SWR is fine. (It powers
itself off even if there has been no transmitting.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this before I send it
into ICOM for service.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave WK8F
Old April 27th 04, 03:59 AM
Z.Z.

Dave wrote:

I have a IC-706-mkIIg that I have owned for about three years that has
always worked perfectly.

It recently has started to power itself off for no apparent reason
after being on for a minute or two. ...

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this before I send it
into ICOM for service.

What are you using for a power supply? Might be worth having a look with a
volt meter when the rigs shuts down...

Old April 27th 04, 09:39 PM
Thierry

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a IC-706-mkIIg that I have owned for about three years that has
always worked perfectly.

It recently has started to power itself off for no apparent reason
after being on for a minute or two. It behaves as if it is going
through the automatic shutdown which is set for 60 minutes of no
activity.

When it is on, it seems to be functioning normaly, transmits and
receives fine.

Hi,

There is in the menu an option to ask the RTX to switvch off after some
time.
I do not rememebr which but if you review all setting you could find it.
I wonder if this is not an option called "TOT" or something like that
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Radi...c-706MKIIG.pdf

Thierry, ON4SKY

Old April 27th 04, 09:47 PM
Thierry

This is explained p51 in the referenced PDF file, "6 AUTO OFF"
The initial setting is OFF with a choice between 30, 60, 90 and 120 min
delay.
I think this is the "problem" you have.

Thierry

"Thierry" Use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm to reply wrote in
message ...

Old April 27th 04, 10:15 PM
Thierry

Sorry, I didn't read that you already set the delay to 60 min ...
A friend of mine tells me that the IC does not really support too much
moisture compared to its Yaesu competitors and that cause many many
problems, not only with the power with also the impossibility to emit, etc
due to defect relay, etc.
If it worked until now, the most probable explanation 'd be a defect
battery.... :-(

Thierry

Old April 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Jean-Marie

Dave wrote in news:95fr80lqq7de9erv4i72fgofaeva1s5ut3@
4ax.com:

It recently has started to power itself off for no apparent reason
after being on for a minute or two. It behaves as if it is going
through the automatic shutdown which is set for 60 minutes of no
activity.

I had a similar problem. Solved by cleaning the contacts between the
control head and the body of the radio.

Jean-Marie