Old July 8th 05, 01:56 PM
John Gotwals

Default Butternut HF6V need guys?

I live in Indiana and am in the process of ground mounting a Butternut HF6V
vertical antenna. The antennal is located in a section of lawn which is 40
feet from the nearest building. I am sure a set of guys would make a more
sturdy antenna, but I don't want to cause lawn mowing problems, and I don't
want to increase the visual impact of this antenna. Any comments or advice
is welcome.

John, N9JG

Old July 8th 05, 02:01 PM
Dave \Doc\ Corio

John Gotwals wrote:
I live in Indiana and am in the process of ground mounting a Butternut HF6V
vertical antenna. The antennal is located in a section of lawn which is 40
feet from the nearest building. I am sure a set of guys would make a more
sturdy antenna, but I don't want to cause lawn mowing problems, and I don't
want to increase the visual impact of this antenna. Any comments or advice
is welcome.

John, N9JG

My HF9V has withstood Iowa and PA winds, both ground-mounted and
elevated without a single problem. The antenna can be guyed, however, if
you feel it necessary. The directions show the placement of guys on the
mast. It's important to get the proper placement so winds don't do any
damage if it's guyed too high or too low.

If you don't have the instructions, you can download them at

http://www.bencher.com/

73 & gl
Dave
N0HNJ
Old July 8th 05, 02:24 PM
John Gotwals

Thanks for your comments. I purchased a new HF6V, and the instructions do
mention keeping the angle about 45°. I plan to install it without guys, but
I wanted to see if someone had some strong advice to the contrary.

Old July 8th 05, 07:07 PM
Michael Coslo

John Gotwals wrote:

Thanks for your comments. I purchased a new HF6V, and the instructions do
mention keeping the angle about 45°. I plan to install it without guys, but
I wanted to see if someone had some strong advice to the contrary.

"Dave "Doc" Corio" wrote in message

My HF9V has withstood Iowa and PA winds, both ground-mounted and elevated
without a single problem. The antenna can be guyed, however, if you feel
it necessary. The directions show the placement of guys on the mast. It's
important to get the proper placement so winds don't do any damage if it's
guyed too high or too low.

I'll chime in that my HF6V is also doing fine without guys.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 9th 05, 05:09 AM
Ron

I have do not have guys on the HF6V I own and have had no problems at
all. WE had sustanied winds of almost 60mph this winter and no
problem at all.

Do take the time though if you have not already and add a few radials.
Cut you lawn real short,, lay down several radials, pull them taught
and then stake them in the ground with ground cloth staples (garden
center) The grass will grow right up aroound them and they will
"disapear" into the ground. Huge difference in performance.

Ron

Old July 9th 05, 01:18 PM
John Gotwals

I do plan to add a fair number of guys, and will be installing them just as
you have suggested. I do have a question about driving the 1 1/8" mounting
tube into the earth. The directions give a warning about splitting the
plastic insert and suggest placing a piece of wood on top of the tube and
then hammer on the wood. The soil here is clay, and the ground is quite dry,
at the present time. Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions about
driving the tube into the ground. Should I drive a wooden stake first to
form a hole, remove the stake, and then drive the tube into the hole left by
the stake?

Old July 9th 05, 04:10 PM
Howard

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 07:18:07 -0500, "John Gotwals"
wrote:

I do plan to add a fair number of guys, and will be installing them just as
you have suggested. I do have a question about driving the 1 1/8" mounting
tube into the earth. The directions give a warning about splitting the
plastic insert and suggest placing a piece of wood on top of the tube and
then hammer on the wood. The soil here is clay, and the ground is quite dry,
at the present time. Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions about
driving the tube into the ground. Should I drive a wooden stake first to
form a hole, remove the stake, and then drive the tube into the hole left by
the stake?

I's suggest you take a few days and water the area first, you can use
a 'starter hole' approach also. Drive a stake in and withdraw then
over the course of a day fill that hole with water and allow it to
seep in then water again. You don't want to go too deep with your
'starter hole' though - just enough to hold some water.
Old July 9th 05, 04:52 PM
Reg Edwards

I suggest you take a few days and water the area first,

==================================

This may be fine for some amateurs. But what about the people in
southern England where the present water shortage will cause the
goverment to introduce compulsory metering of domestic water supplies.
It's something to do with Earth warming, man-made climatic
disturbance, and the price of a glass of clean drinking water in
London.
----
Reg.

Old July 9th 05, 05:35 PM
David G. Nagel

Reg Edwards wrote:
I suggest you take a few days and water the area first,

==================================

This may be fine for some amateurs. But what about the people in
southern England where the present water shortage will cause the
goverment to introduce compulsory metering of domestic water supplies.
It's something to do with Earth warming, man-made climatic
disturbance, and the price of a glass of clean drinking water in
London.
----
Reg.

Use GRAY water. That's the water from the sink, bath tub etc. This will
ease the load on the waste water treatment plant and allow you to soak
the ground at the same time. A little more work but it can be worth it.

Dave WD9BDZ

i confess Steveo CB 18 December 15th 04 06:20 AM
Butternut HF6V question Mike Coslo Antenna 4 October 26th 04 07:48 AM
Butternut HF6V problem Paolo Emanuelli IK1QHB General 0 February 22nd 04 06:58 PM
Seeking Butternut HF6V manual Dave Pascoe KM3T Antenna 2 December 2nd 03 08:37 PM
Seeking Butternut HF6V manual Dave Pascoe KM3T Swap 0 December 2nd 03 08:11 PM