Old May 18th 05, 07:17 PM
Chris

Default Biggest antenna ever constructed

?

Old May 18th 05, 07:55 PM
Cecil Moore

Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 18th 05, 07:56 PM
Fabian Kurz

Chris didn't write:
Biggest antenna ever constructed?

Maybe http://www.naic.edu/public/the_telescope.htm ?

73,
--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/
Old May 18th 05, 08:24 PM
Jim Kelley

Fabian Kurz wrote:

Chris didn't write:

Biggest antenna ever constructed?

Maybe http://www.naic.edu/public/the_telescope.htm ?

Or maybe this one:

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

ac6xg

Old May 18th 05, 08:30 PM
harrogate2

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

As a single antenna, probably.

But as an 'effective' antenna what about that line of dishes on tracks
near Cambridge that ISTR is equivalent to a dish 3 miles across!

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 18th 05, 08:40 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
harrogate2 wrote:

Ariceibo?

As a single antenna, probably.

But as an 'effective' antenna what about that line of dishes on tracks
near Cambridge that ISTR is equivalent to a dish 3 miles across!

Even bigger-effective-aperture telescope systems use very-long-
baseline interferometry to combine the signals from multiple receivers
spread out all across the planet, and even on satellites. There are
some VLBI systems using satellites in earth orbit, and I believe that
there are plans (or even systems in existence) which use satellites in
solar orbit.

The angular resolution you can get from these systems is sorta scary.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 18th 05, 09:06 PM
Roger Conroy

"Chris" wrote in message
?

If you exclude various multi dish arrays then the biggest is Arecibo radio
telescope in Puerto Rico.

Old May 18th 05, 10:40 PM
Thierry

"harrogate2" wrote in message

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
?

Ariceibo?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

As a single antenna, probably.

Arecibo remains the largest fixed antenna.
The largest steerable is DSN... 70 m
ham : probably the low band beam used by JARL ?

73
Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry

Old May 18th 05, 10:54 PM
Caveat Lector

The Moon

Amateurs use it frequently as a passive reflector

Constructed about 4.5 billion years ago

Builder GØD

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Chris" wrote in message
?

Old May 18th 05, 11:42 PM
Ham op

Caveat Lector wrote:

The Moon

Amateurs use it frequently as a passive reflector

Constructed about 4.5 billion years ago

Builder GØD

God must have missed a design principle in electromagnetics. The moon is
a convex surface more suited to scattering than concave which is more
suited to focusing ... or is it the other way around?