Old August 18th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Interest in HD Radio remains flat !

Cool website traffic analysis for "hdradio.com", "sirius.com", and
"xmradio.com":

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/hdr....com?metric=uv

How does Compete estimate site traffic and Internet rank?

"Compete triangulates multiple data sources, including ISP, Panel &
Toolbar to estimate U.S. traffic. Compete has developed a unique
methodology created by experts in the fields of mathematics,
statistics and the data sciences to aggregate, transform, enhance and
normalize data in order to estimate U.S. Internet traffic. Based on
the daily web usage of more than two million members (and growing!) of
the Compete community, Compete calculates and estimates total traffic
and rank for nearly every site on the web. We use rigorous statistics
to make sure our estimates balance demographic and connection factors
that match the entire U.S. Internet population. Currently, we're
calculating the number of people in the U.S. that visit any given Web
site each month (international usage calculations are in development).
Compete online metrics are leveraged by some of the largest companies
in the U.S. and often cited in publications like USA Today, Wall
Street Journal and The New York Times."

Also, try comparing "hdradio.com" to "pandora.com", "last.fm",
"apple.com", "sprint.com",
"cingular.com", "xbox.com", and "playstation.com".

HD Radio is such a loser !

Old August 18th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

IBOCcrock wrote:
[...]

There is an article from Inside Radio (Below) circulating throughout
groups
invested in HD radio, including our favorite 3 letter abbreviation, that
suggests one of the reasons for HD's languishing popularity is that
there are few, if any, HD radios on shelves, coupled with a lack of
training in HD by sales reps, and general retail apathy.

Which is a disengenous shift of responsibility.

Actually, if there were consumer interest, you wouldn't be able to
swing a dead hooker in a Best Buy without hitting an HD radio.

Consumer interest drives sales. Not supply. And as well researched as
the big box retailers are, if there were consumer interest, they would
be stocking these things by the rail car load, because there would be
money in it. But if there is no consumer demand for these products, no
retailer is going to give up valuable shelf space for them.

That's not to say that this is yet a dead issue. With the enormous
investment in IBOC stations are making to install this noise, they're
not going to give up.

But this campaign is being compared to XM's initial campaign. Where
the emphasis is on CONTENT. Not audio quality, as much of the HD
campaign is emphasizing.

So, there will have to be a shift in marketing emphasis if Radio is
to make HD work better than the AM Stereo attempt in the 80's.

Radio is often its own worst enemy. But where direct dollars are
spent, Radio is rarely too stupid.

**********************************

-- Readers chime in. Trying to buy an HD Radio at retail has not been
easy. Inside Radio reported Tuesday on our experience with a weekend
shopping spree in New York, and our attempt to find and buy an HD
Radio receiver.

While we love the technology and the sound quality, retailers appear
to be the weak link in moving HD Radio forward with the consumer. We
asked readers to let us know about their shopping experiences ... and
they did.

Sarasota FL: “At Sound Advice, the local high-end store, the salesman
and I agreed on a model and he had it installed. Only upon tuning
around after installation did we learn that this particular head unit
(a sheepish Kenwood phone rep let us know) ‘was not multi-cast
ready’. We could tune in HD1...but no side channels. A bust!”

Connecticut: “Went to Best Buy -- Brookstone -- Sharper Image --
Circuit City. Zero units in stock. ‘Yeah, we get some calls for them.
Hear we’re gonna stock some soon.’ That’s the response from store
clerks. I see nothing on TV or in the daily newspapers (about HD). Or
on billboards. No ads for HD paid for by the radio industry to create
awareness or a need for HD Radio sets. Ads saying you can have HD in
your car, den, walkman, poolside, kitchen, bedroom, etc. Where’s the
Industry push?”

Chicago: “I tried to buy an HD receiver for my home stereo system
last weekend at Best Buy. There weren’t any HD receivers there, and
the salesperson tried to sell me an XMHD receiver. I ended up
explaining to him what HD was. I checked the car radio section and
they had only one.”

St. Louis: “My experience was in a local Best Buy, and the clerk
escorted me to the HDTV display, confidently telling me that there
was no such thing as HD radio, and that it was an Interent urban
legend! If our retail partners don’t see fit to properly train their
sales force, perhaps we should put our efforts into encouraging
online purchases. While not able to offer “instant gratification”, we
can at least offer our listeners a higher expectation of dealing with
competent and well-trained representatives. I bought mine online and
got free shipping!”

Kansas City: “Whenever I’m passing through a Best Buy or a Circuit
City, I’ll stop and check to see how much store employees know about
HD. I often get blank stares. At one Circuit City, I tried listening
to standard radios and reception on all of them was poor. The
employee [said] they don’t get good reception in the building.
Anybody tried a master antenna? How can you sell anything, much less
an HD Radio, if you can’t get a good signal into your demo radios?”

****************************

Again, if there were consumer demand for these radios, there would
be a deluge of them. Because there would be money in it. But there
isn't. So there isn't.

Something will have to change.

On another note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8RCneVcrQ

Old August 18th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Actually, if there were consumer interest, you wouldn't be able to
swing a dead hooker in a Best Buy without hitting an HD radio.

Consumer interest drives sales. Not supply. And as well researched as
the big box retailers are, if there were consumer interest, they would
be stocking these things by the rail car load, because there would be
money in it. But if there is no consumer demand for these products, no
retailer is going to give up valuable shelf space for them.

Not only would I not buy into IBOC, I wouldn't accept a radio given to me
for free (regardless of whether I was back home or not). The system has no
plusses. It generates noise on the band, and adds nothing of significance.
AM stations have no content worthy of "high fidelity" anymore, and it's not
likely that they ever will, since the industry has decided that "nobody
listens to AM", and has made it a self-fulfilling prophecy. FM doesn't need
IBOC, as the audio quality already surpasses what the vast majority consider
to be acceptable.

All in all, IBOC isn't even a solution in search of a problem. It IS the
problem, and the only solution is for it to die a quick death and let
millions of people who don't conform to the industry's notion that "nobody"
listens outside the protected contours and "nobody" listens to AM have their
choice of stations and programming back.

*steps down off soapbox*

Old August 18th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

All in all, IBOC isn't even a solution in search of a problem. It IS the
problem, and the only solution is for it to die a quick death and let
millions of people who don't conform to the industry's notion that "nobody"
listens outside the protected contours and "nobody" listens to AM have their
choice of stations and programming back.

*steps down off soapbox*

I'd keep an open mind ... low bit rate video and such just might find a
way of working in and providing some interesting content and
entertainment--what new devices may await us, might me worth asking? I
await the final chapter.

Regards,
JS
Old August 18th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Snip

Again, if there were consumer demand for these radios, there would
be a deluge of them. Because there would be money in it. But there
isn't. So there isn't.

HD radio sucks because it is no better or offers no value to the
consumer who has to spend extra money to get it.

Something will have to change.

Yeah. HD will have to offer value over analog to replace it.

They should start with changing the lousy design so it actually provides
better reception and fidelity than analog. Offering different content is
just a diversion.

On another note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8RCneVcrQ

Very funny.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old August 18th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 17, 8:51 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Snip

Again, if there were consumer demand for these radios, there would
be a deluge of them. Because there would be money in it. But there
isn't. So there isn't.

HD radio sucks because it is no better or offers no value to the
consumer who has to spend extra money to get it.

Something will have to change.

Yeah. HD will have to offer value over analog to replace it.

They should start with changing the lousy design so it actually provides
better reception and fidelity than analog. Offering different content is
just a diversion.

On another note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8RCneVcrQ

Very funny.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon,

The HD Radio Newsgroup Exist for such Posts
http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio
Let US Remember - This Is A Shortwave Radio NewsGroup.

~ RHF
Old August 18th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 17, 6:45 pm, John Smith I wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:

All in all, IBOC isn't even a solution in search of a problem. It IS the
problem, and the only solution is for it to die a quick death and let
millions of people who don't conform to the industry's notion that "nobody"
listens outside the protected contours and "nobody" listens to AM have their
choice of stations and programming back.

*steps down off soapbox*

I'd keep an open mind ... low bit rate video and such just might find a
way of working in and providing some interesting content and
entertainment--what new devices may await us, might me worth asking? I
await the final chapter.

Regards,
JS

JS,

The HD Radio Newsgroup Exist for such Posts
HD RADIO = http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio

Old August 18th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) : HD Radio - Keeping A Straight-Face & Trying Not To Laugh !

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/hdr...+xmradio.com?m...

[...]

After-all you have posted there several times
and for the most part : There Is No There - There !
.
Let US Remember - This Is A Shortwave Radio NewsGroup.

keeping a straight-face & trying not to laugh - btdt ~ RHF
.
.

I also posted this in HD Radio, ba.broadcast, and alt.radio.digital -
the real problem, as an IBOC shill, you don't want a bunch of posters
seeing the results of these graphs.

I also included Compete in my blog:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/

Your attempts to shut down anti-IBOC posters, as with HD Radio, is too-
little-too-late:

http://tinyurl.com/yoqk6d

I have also contacted a number of foreign countrys' FCCs to complain
about HD/IBOC, providing a link to my blog.

Old August 18th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 18, 1:14?am, RHF wrote:
[...]

One more thing - did you notice on these graphs, the lack of reaction
to HD Radio during Christmas, compared to all of the other competing
technologies - even during holidays, no HD Radio ! Ha! Ha! HD Radio
is DOA !

Old August 18th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 18, 12:33 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:14?am, RHF wrote:

[...]

is DOA !- Hide quoted text -

IBOC Crock -or- should I call you Mister Crock ?

All I know is it did not work for me as a Kitchen Radio
for the Family to use up here in Twain Harte, CA since
we are to far away from any of the current AM or FM
IBOC Broadcasters.

I will have to take it down to Oakland the and give it
a Test to see if it will work as a Kitchen Radio for
the Family to use down there . . . time will tell and
that may take years and years . . .

shillingly yours - i b o c d ~ RHF