Old December 12th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default Looking for Police scanner

My father in-law is looking for a police scanner.
I know things are changing with the Digital scanner being the up and
coming thing.
What unit would you guys recommend so he can listen to local police/fire?
The digital scanners seem pretty pricey. Looking for a portable unit mainly.
Thanks greatly!
Old December 12th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"asylum" wrote in message
My father in-law is looking for a police scanner.
I know things are changing with the Digital scanner being the up and
coming thing.
What unit would you guys recommend so he can listen to local police/fire?
The digital scanners seem pretty pricey. Looking for a portable unit
mainly.
Thanks greatly!

You need to tell people where you are, what you want to hear. Radio
Reference page may be able to help. It will depend on what kind of radio
system the agencies you want to hear have. Most Police that go digital only
do so to have encrypted. If your Police have done that you can't hear them.
If it's a Trunked 800 or standard analog the BC246T is a great little
scanner. Fits in a shirt pocket.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

Old December 12th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:
"asylum" wrote in message
My father in-law is looking for a police scanner.
I know things are changing with the Digital scanner being the up and
coming thing.
What unit would you guys recommend so he can listen to local police/fire?
The digital scanners seem pretty pricey. Looking for a portable unit
mainly.
Thanks greatly!

You need to tell people where you are, what you want to hear. Radio
Reference page may be able to help. It will depend on what kind of radio
system the agencies you want to hear have. Most Police that go digital only
do so to have encrypted. If your Police have done that you can't hear them.
If it's a Trunked 800 or standard analog the BC246T is a great little
scanner. Fits in a shirt pocket.

Thanks for the info.
I'm in Minnesota ( twin cities)
The Local police are going digital in middle of 08.
Old December 12th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"asylum" wrote in message
Alex Clayton wrote:
"asylum" wrote in message
[...]

Then you are most likely going to be out of luck. If they go digital they
will most likely encrypt. If by chance they don't Uniden makes a nice pocket
size Digital, but they are expensive. Over twice as much.
--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

Old December 13th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"The Kat" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:42:05 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
wrote:

Then you are most likely going to be out of luck. If they go digital they
will most likely encrypt.

Bull****! Most digital systems are NOT encrypted!

Try having someone who finished school read the thread to you. No one here
said anything about "digital systems". We were discussing listening to the
Police, City Police. Most City Police departments that go to the expense of
an of a P-25 system do so to encrypt. There is a LOT of other stuff that is
P-25 that is not, but that is not what anyone here was asking about. Have
someone explain it to you.
--
The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
(not necessarily in that order)

Old December 16th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

Then you are most likely going to be out of luck. If they go digital they
will most likely encrypt.

Bull****! Most digital systems are NOT encrypted!

Try having someone who finished school read the thread to you. No one here
said anything about "digital systems". We were discussing listening to the
Police, City Police. Most City Police departments that go to the expense of
an of a P-25 system do so to encrypt. There is a LOT of other stuff that is
P-25 that is not, but that is not what anyone here was asking about. Have
someone explain it to you.
--
The two most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
(not necessarily in that order)

Analog Gov't/Police/Fire broadcasts are usually in the Mid VHF band
(136-174 MHz, excluding 162). I think you can listen to air-traffic
control in the Low VHF band (118-136 Mhz). I live a few dozen
kilometers from an airport, in which I can listen to the communication
on 132.7 and 123.9 MHz. Correct me on all this if I am wrong. (I am a
novice :-) )

-Trent

Old February 9th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Name a few.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

Old February 9th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Lumpy" wrote in message
Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Name a few.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

Look at the Radio Reference page. It is often way behind, but it will give
you a good idea of what they are doing.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

Old February 9th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Lumpy:
Name a few.

Alex Clayton:
Look at the Radio Reference page.
It is often way behind, but it will
give you a good idea of what they are doing.

Name a few.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

www.LumpyGuitar.net

Old February 9th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Lumpy wrote:
Alex Clayton wrote:
...Most City Police departments
that go to the expense of an of
a P-25 system do so to encrypt...

Lumpy:
Name a few.

Alex Clayton:
Look at the Radio Reference page.
It is often way behind, but it will
give you a good idea of what they are doing.

Name a few.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

www.LumpyGuitar.net

This lumpy sure spits on a lot of newsgroups.