Old February 12th 05, 12:12 PM
B.R. Smith

Default Rtty Protocol

I am using Ham Scope and Mmtty to decode RTTY with my sound card. It
works fine for hame radio operators but I have found RTTY on non-ham
frquencies and all I get is garbage. For example, there is an RTTY
signal at approximately 2.042 MHZ at 1100 UTC on the West Coast and
all that displays is random characters. I suspect it has something to
do with the protocol or baud rate settings. Anyone know what they
might be? Not sure if this is maritime station or not. Thanks.
Old February 12th 05, 01:25 PM
dxAce

"B.R. Smith" wrote:

I am using Ham Scope and Mmtty to decode RTTY with my sound card. It
works fine for hame radio operators but I have found RTTY on non-ham
frquencies and all I get is garbage. For example, there is an RTTY
signal at approximately 2.042 MHZ at 1100 UTC on the West Coast and
all that displays is random characters. I suspect it has something to
do with the protocol or baud rate settings. Anyone know what they
might be? Not sure if this is maritime station or not. Thanks.

Much of the RTTY that you'll receive on non HAM frequencies will be encrypted.
That is probably why you'll receive the random characters even though you might
have the protocol and baud settings correct.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 12th 05, 02:08 PM
Ralph Mowery

Most hams are received in the LSB mode. Comercial statisons usually are
received in the USB mode or the reversed mark/space relationship. Also the
speed (baud rate) and shift are usually differant than the normal ham 45
baud (60 wpm) and 170 Hz shift.

Old February 12th 05, 04:09 PM
Greg

From: "Ralph Mowery"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc ,rec.ham-radio
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:08:16 GMT
Subject: Rtty Protocol

"B.R. Smith" wrote in message
I am using Ham Scope and Mmtty to decode RTTY with my sound card. It
works fine for hame radio operators but I have found RTTY on non-ham
frquencies and all I get is garbage. For example, there is an RTTY
signal at approximately 2.042 MHZ at 1100 UTC on the West Coast and
all that displays is random characters. I suspect it has something to
do with the protocol or baud rate settings. Anyone know what they
might be? Not sure if this is maritime station or not. Thanks.

Okay, I have some questions about RTTY:

1. What unencrypted RTTY traffic is out there besides hams?

2. What sort of encoder would I need to read RTTY with my NRD-525 and what
do I need to know to get it functioning?

3. My receiver has an RTTY mode. What exactly does that do in my receiver?
Couldn't I just use USB or LSB?

Thanks,

Greg

Old February 12th 05, 04:49 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Greg" wrote in message

Okay, I have some questions about RTTY:

1. What unencrypted RTTY traffic is out there besides hams?

I am not sure about RTTY that is not ham now. I doubt much is in use.
There used to be some using other shifts and upside down from the ham
standard.
You may find a list on rtty.com

2. What sort of encoder would I need to read RTTY with my NRD-525 and

what
do I need to know to get it functioning?

YOu can use your computer with the built in sound card. There are several
free programs you can use . MMTTY is a good one to start with.

Go here to get the programs.

http://www.muenster.de/~welp/sb.htm

YOu just hook the sound card input to the speaker or output of the receiver.
Even a mic on the computer layed next to the speakers will work in a quiet
location.

3. My receiver has an RTTY mode. What exactly does that do in my

receiver?
Couldn't I just use USB or LSB?

The reciever will go to either the LSB or USB mode but the filters will be
shifted so they will be centered at higher audio frequencies. The normal
ham rtty audio tones are 2125 hz and 2295 hz for the normal 170 hz shift.
In real use the receiver could be tuned so that almost any lower frequencies
are comming out of the speaker and the demodulator (converter or sound card
freqwuencies) set for the lower frequencies. The way it was done in the
precomputer days were with fixed filters and it was hard to change the
tuning of them. By using lsb and the mark tone of 2125 (think that was a
multple of some audio tuning fork but not sure) the tuning was simplified.

You can use LSB for most ham and USB for the comercial rtty. You may or may
not be able to use the narrow filters in the receiver. I don't know
exectally how that receiver switches the filers in and out.

Old February 12th 05, 05:09 PM
Greg

From: "Ralph Mowery"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc ,rec.ham-radio
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:49:40 GMT

"Greg" wrote in message

[...]

Okay, thanks for the info Ralph. I haven't gone to the links yes but I'm
betting there's not a lot of RTTY software for my Apple computer. That's
why I thought of a standalone decoder, like an MFJ or something. But it's
probably not worth the trouble if, as you say, there isn't much RTTY traffic
out there.

Old February 12th 05, 05:42 PM
CaptAmerica

Why are you in this discussion? I thought you said shortwave sucks. Are
you ****ing bipolar?

Capt America

Old February 12th 05, 05:42 PM
ryan wiehle

From: "Ralph Mowery"
Newsgroups:
rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc ,rec.ham-radio
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:08:16 GMT Subject: Rtty Protocol

"B.R. Smith" wrote in message
[...]

there used to be press services on RTTY.