Old July 31st 03, 09:47 PM
larry

Default I have an antenna transmission line problem

Greetings

Lets see where do I start. I have been licenced since I was 16, in 1964.
My ham startion was located in the basement. My first antenna, a random
wire, ran from my antenna coupler, an L network, along the basement ceiling
out a hole drill in the frame of a basement window, up to, and over, the
eavestrough and down the backyard to the cloths line pole. About 75 feet.
Worked great on 80, 40, 20 meters.

Since then a pine tree located this on the house side of the pole has grown
to all but block my route to that pole.

Lots of time has gone by plus interests, etc, and I am planning a return to
hf, perferably cw.

My ham station has now moved from the basement, same house, to my old
bedroom facing the back of the house. My bedroom in now at the front side
of the house.

The most direct route to the back yard is now via a window. The window has
a permanent screen on the outside, it can be removed for changing, repair
etc. On the inside is a weather designed up and down sliding glass window.

My question is: is it possible to design something to allow me to pass a
transmission line, of any type, through a screen window, without
significantly effecting the characteristics of the transmission line and
without effecting the integrity of the screen window?

Larry ve3fxq

Old August 1st 03, 02:26 AM
'Doc

Larry,
Right off hand I would say use a 'bulkhead' connector
through the screen. You might mount the connector on a
piece of plastic/metal/wood on each side of the screen to
keep from tearing it. Sort of a jelly sandwich with the
screen as the jelly (if that makes any sense). Hows that?
'Doc
Old August 1st 03, 02:48 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

Larry, When I once had the shack in a bedroon, I punched a hole into the
closet ceiling to get the cables up into the attic. Then out from the attic.

Tam/WB2TT
news

Old August 1st 03, 03:20 AM
Tom Coates

I had the local hardware store replace the metal screen with nylon screening
in a similar color. Fiberglas screening would have been equally good. My
antenna is fifty feet of (almost invisible) No 30 wire, which fits easily
through the screen.

Tom, N3IJ