Old July 31st 03, 10:31 AM
Chris Bartlett

Default Opinions please G5 against long wire against windom?

Hi all. My G5RV fell down the other day. The feed point was half way down
the garden. for the moment I have put up a long wire (about 40 yards) and
am able to operate on all bands using my tuner. The advantage here is that
the feed point is near the house.

I had been considering trying a Windom. The measurements I have are 82' and
51' and a feed from a 1 to 1 balun 22' coax to a 4 to 1 balun at the T
point. I also have different measurements of 85.1' and 36.4' fed straight to
a 4 to 1 balun. The second would probably be the easiest to set up. But
would it be the best?

Anyone with experience with home brew Windom's and opinions please.

The Windom would allow me to keep the feed point near to the house.

Thanks,

Chris.

Old July 31st 03, 11:15 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Chris Bartlett" wrote in message
Hi all. My G5RV fell down the other day. The feed point was half way down
the garden. for the moment I have put up a long wire (about 40 yards) and
am able to operate on all bands using my tuner. The advantage here is that
the feed point is near the house.

I had been considering trying a Windom. The measurements I have are 82'

and
51' and a feed from a 1 to 1 balun 22' coax to a 4 to 1 balun at the T
point. I also have different measurements of 85.1' and 36.4' fed straight

a 4 to 1 balun. The second would probably be the easiest to set up. But
would it be the best?

Anyone with experience with home brew Windom's and opinions please.

The Windom would allow me to keep the feed point near to the house.

Thanks,

Chris.

A windom or an OCF (Off center fed) antenna work well. If you put up a
wavelength for the horizontal part you can work it on even harmonic bands.
It will work elsewhere but you may have feedline currents this way.

My first hb windom was 130 foot long with a single wire feedline, 1/3 of
the way from the end. I used a simple homebrew pi-net tuner. Worked great.

At another time I used a OCF dipole, this antenna I used 200 ohm twinlead
(military stuff). Fed at the 1/4 wave point and it did a decent job too.

Unfortunatly I cant compare them to anything, since they were the only
antenna I had up at the time.

So, my advise it put it up. See how it plays, and then tear it down and
try the other one. Thats what makes ham radio so much fun. Enjoy.

Dan/W4NTI