Old December 29th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 6L6 substitute

"ken scharf" wrote in message
.. .
To Hijack an old thread...

The way tubes were numbered sometimes....
The 25L6 and 50L6 are NOT 6L6's with different heater voltages.
Actually both of these tubes are IDENTICAL with the 6W6GT except for the
heater ratings.

Ken, isn't the 6W6 a high perveance tube, hence the relatively high
filament current? If so, it might work well in a TX with slightly
lower plate volages. I have a sleeve or two of those looking for
a project...

Pete

Old December 29th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tio Pedro wrote:
"ken scharf" wrote in message
.. .
To Hijack an old thread...

The way tubes were numbered sometimes....
The 25L6 and 50L6 are NOT 6L6's with different heater voltages.
Actually both of these tubes are IDENTICAL with the 6W6GT except for the
heater ratings.

Ken, isn't the 6W6 a high perveance tube, hence the relatively high
filament current? If so, it might work well in a TX with slightly
lower plate volages. I have a sleeve or two of those looking for
a project...

Pete

Based on what I found on google for 'high perveance' I guess so.
This tube has a max plate voltage rating of 330v, and a max G2 rating of
165 volts. It was used as an AF output tube in low plate voltage
radios, and in TV sets as a vertical output tube.

The 6Y6 is a similar tube, with 50ma more heater current and the same
plate dissipation rating in a larger bulb. It can handle higher plate
current than the 6W6, and it's max plate voltage and G2 rating is 200v.

I know that 50c5's and 50l6's were used in transmitter projects, so the
6W6 will work in the same circuits. The 6Y6 might bear looking into as
well.

Old February 23rd 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Check out the 6CD6, 20 watts plate dissipation; max plate volts 700. The
6DQ6 is a similar tube but onlt 18 watts PD but handles 770 volts. The next
step up will be novar/duodecar compactron color TV sweep tubes which can be
expensive due to the explosion of sweep tube CB linear amps in past
years/decades.

Why not just design it around a 6146?? Easy to find--and maybe free from
another ham.

Best 73.
Russ

"ken scharf" wrote in message
.. .
JIMMIE wrote:
After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitue for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits
from each other. I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions
would be appreciated.

Jimmie