Old July 19th 05, 02:09 AM
squeege boy

Default small shortwave antenna

I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers
Old July 19th 05, 03:38 AM
Old Ed

Hi Squeege,

Check out the Sony AN-LP1. It works very well, and I don't
think you can beat it at the size. It's particularly nice with
Sony's budget HF receiver, the ICF-SW7600GR. Just stick
the suction cup on your apartment window, and you're in
business.

Ed

Old July 19th 05, 10:59 AM
Thierry

"squeege boy" wrote in message
I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

Hi,

IMHO there is no miracle to work in such solution. I have the same problem,
having moved in a modern appartment where I am not allowed to erect any
antenna on the roof. So remain the portable solution.

In your case, for reception, why not to test an active magnetic loop
antenna. They cover all the spectrum in continue
see e.g. http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/qsl-ala1530.htm

As you are licensed I think, there are also magnetic loops for TX, see e.g.
www.wimo.de
Only drawback, better to stay over 7m from the antenna due to the magnetic
field generated. If you can do that, it's fine. Its performances are not
better than a dipole but its is somewhat directive. That helps.

Hope this helps.

73
Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry

Old July 19th 05, 05:39 PM
squeege boy

thanks a million
sounds good
going to see if I can build that magnetic loop myself, rather than
buying something

many thanks

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:59:45 +0200, "Thierry" - wrote:

.. .

Old July 19th 05, 06:33 PM
Ed

I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to
build or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

There is no reason anyone living in an apartment can't get on the
air, at least to some extent. Have you checked MFJ products for antennas
that would suit your needs? http://www.mfjenterprises.com

There is the mini whip apartment antenna for 40 - 10M, which will
mount right on an outside window sill, MFJ-1622, and there are a
number of totally indoor antenna loops you can use, although they are
rather pricey, such as MFJ-1788. If you operate QRP at 5 watts, or even
up to around 20 watts, none of your neighbors will even know you are on
the air. Good luck

Ed

Old July 20th 05, 12:22 AM
Reg Edwards

All you need is a length of plastic-insulated wire strung up in the
attic, or unobtrusively tossed out of a window, and a large aligator
clip attached to the domestic plunbing system. Plus a simple tuner.
Believe me - it really does work very well! Ask any real amateur.
And don't get yourself all mixed up about so-called SWR, reflected
power and take-off angles.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old July 20th 05, 05:27 AM
Richard Harrison

Thierry, ON4SKY wrote:
"As you are licensed I think there are also magnetic loops for TX-."

I agree. The advantage of a small loop is that it is inductive, so a
series variable capacitor is needed to tune it, in place of the lossy
coil needed to tune a small whip.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old August 16th 05, 01:09 PM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
I am livign in an apartment, so I cant transmit (no towers and what
not) so I am looking for what would suit my needs best for HF and
shortwave recption in general

I have googled a bit and havent found much in the way of easy to build
or easy to obtain parts to build antennas

any help would be really appreciated
cheers

I'm in a condo, which is also somewhat restrictive in terms of radio
antennas and transmitters. Don't get discouraged, there are ways around
it. Best thing to do is to look into QRP operation (power levels 5w and
lower). I'm using an FT-817 which won't do any more than that, and a
somewhat stealthily-arranged shorty G5RV antenna for 40m thru 10m, and a
2m vertical up where an old busted-up TV antenna used to be when we
moved in. With that arrangement, I can work all the 2m repeaters in the
area, and on HF I've worked all over the country plus several countries
around the Pacific and into South America. Never had a TVI complaint at
all.

One thing I =did= do was put the antenna up first, and leave it up for a
couple of months before I did any transmitting. I read about one guy
who had a neighbor start complaining immediately after he saw the
antenna the guy put up. Since the antenna wasn't even connected to
anything, the neighbor was caught without an explanation or complaint
about the ham. Fortunately, nobody came by and started complaining so I
proceeded with getting on the air, still no interference complaints and
I've been operating for something like seven years now.

Another good story was a ham who was sitting in his living room watching
the tube -- no radios on in the shack at all -- when a neighbor came by,
furious because he was getting TV interference, and was POSITIVE it was
the fault of this ham. The ham said, let's go see, so they went to the
neighbor's house to look. Sure enough, there was a lot of TVI. The
neighbor said, see, you're screwing up my TV! The ham said, how can
that be? I'm standing right here, no radio in sight, so how can I be
messing up your TV...?

Anyway, consider QRP -- you will be surprised at how much you can
accomplish on only five watts!

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Inverted ground plane antenna: compared with normal GP and low dipole. Serge Stroobandt, ON4BAA Antenna 8 February 24th 11 11:22 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM
Understanding Shortwave Radio Listening and Antenna Design and Construction RHF Shortwave 3 February 13th 04 08:16 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM