Old September 29th 05, 04:55 PM
Cecil Moore

Default Bad News for Hams?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050929/D8CTUA3O7.html
Old September 29th 05, 06:32 PM
David Thompson

BPL sound so nice until you get to the pollution aspect (RFI).

As I told the Atlanta based Earthlink CEO, hams will be a nuisance until one
of us ingresses (not really as its not inside a cable) and blocks out the
entire system. Then the stuff will really hit the fan. A national article
stating that ham radio op KX3XXX imterfered with the city of YYYYY's cable
system
would do it,

73 Dave K4JRB

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. ..
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050929/D8CTUA3O7.html

Old September 29th 05, 07:28 PM
Reg Edwards

Ham radio is gradually on its way out. The authorities will not allow
it to interfere with other forms of radio transmission.

In any case, insofar as the authorities are concerned, ham radio is an
insecure means of communication. It is difficult to intercept, monitor
and control the traffic which passes over it.

Even radio broadcasting is being pushed onto the Internet. It will be
noticed the BBC international broadcasts are not now beamed to the USA
but are advertised as being readily available to USA listeners via the
Internet. The Internet is easily intercepted, monitored and
controlled by the authorities. Whoever THEY may be.

They who own and control the means of communication, including that
via satellites, will rule the Earth.
----
Reg.

Old September 29th 05, 07:51 PM
Michael Coslo

Cecil Moore wrote:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050929/D8CTUA3O7.html

One of the strangest things I've seen in the computer world is that now
that we have all been sold on wireless, they now want us to connect to a
wall outlet again!

For the non-computer savvy, being disconnect from the wall is an
important thing (probably is for a lot of the savvy also)

- mike KB3EIA -

Old September 29th 05, 07:52 PM
Michael Coslo

Reg Edwards wrote:

Ham radio is gradually on its way out. The authorities will not allow
it to interfere with other forms of radio transmission.

In any case, insofar as the authorities are concerned, ham radio is an
insecure means of communication. It is difficult to intercept, monitor
and control the traffic which passes over it.

Even radio broadcasting is being pushed onto the Internet. It will be
noticed the BBC international broadcasts are not now beamed to the USA
but are advertised as being readily available to USA listeners via the
Internet. The Internet is easily intercepted, monitored and
controlled by the authorities. Whoever THEY may be.

They who own and control the means of communication, including that
via satellites, will rule the Earth.

Reg! So gloomy today....

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 30th 05, 01:52 AM
Bob Miller

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:55:48 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050929/D8CTUA3O7.html

Little confusing -- the story doesn't explain how the signal gets to
the house -- via power lines, cable, phone, wireless?

Regardless, guess the house would be a buzz bomb of hash.

bob
k5qwg

Old September 30th 05, 02:57 AM
John - KD5YI

Reg Edwards wrote:
Ham radio is gradually on its way out. The authorities will not allow
it to interfere with other forms of radio transmission.

In any case, insofar as the authorities are concerned, ham radio is an
insecure means of communication. It is difficult to intercept, monitor
and control the traffic which passes over it.

Even radio broadcasting is being pushed onto the Internet. It will be
noticed the BBC international broadcasts are not now beamed to the USA
but are advertised as being readily available to USA listeners via the
Internet. The Internet is easily intercepted, monitored and
controlled by the authorities. Whoever THEY may be.

They who own and control the means of communication, including that
via satellites, will rule the Earth.
----
Reg.

When I learned that the BBC wasn't available on shortwave, I made no effort
to listen to it on the Internet. The magic was gone. I could no longer take
my battery-powered HF radio out in the country or in my car (no, I don't
have satellite radio) and listen to BBC. The programming was fantastic. What
a loss.

There goes another thing I really enjoyed.

John
Old September 30th 05, 03:53 AM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:57:56 GMT, John - KD5YI
wrote:

Reg Edwards wrote:
[...]

It's not quite shortwave, but National Public Radio plays BBC
programming from about midnight to 5 a.m. (at least my local station
does)

Bob
k5qwg

Old September 30th 05, 05:58 AM
Owen Duffy

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:55:48 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050929/D8CTUA3O7.html

Note that not only are the Japanese smart enought to "develop" the
technology, they are smart enough to ban its use in their own country.

Owen
Old September 30th 05, 05:56 PM
David G. Nagel

Bob Miller wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:55:48 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050929/D8CTUA3O7.html

Little confusing -- the story doesn't explain how the signal gets to
the house -- via power lines, cable, phone, wireless?

Regardless, guess the house would be a buzz bomb of hash.

bob
k5qwg

My impression of this story is that they are talking about a LAN system
here not a ISP system. Therefore there should not be the broadband
interferance of a BPL system.

Of course I could be wrong.

Dave WD9BDZ