Old November 1st 03, 04:24 PM
Fred McKenzie

Of course: this is how synchronous AM detection works.
They generate a clean, in-phase carrier and use that to
demodulate the incoming signal.

Laura & Joel-

I was just thinking that. I recall there used to be (may still be) a shortwave
broadcast station just above the 15 Meter band, that broadcasted with a partly
suppressed carrier. Apparently the SWL community has access to equipment with
Synchronous detection capability.

Listening to it on an AM receiver, it could be understood but was distorted.
It was easy to tune it on a Ham transceiver as if it was SSB, but tuning was
critical for music to sound good.

Addressing the original question about direct conversion, what if you used a
temperature compensated oscillator with a phase-locked-loop? If the assumption
could be made that the broadcast station will not drift, then you could tune
each station dead on with an RIT-like adjustment of the oscillator.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old November 3rd 03, 09:19 PM
Joel Kolstad

Fred McKenzie wrote:
Addressing the original question about direct conversion, what if you
used a temperature compensated oscillator with a phase-locked-loop? If
the assumption could be made that the broadcast station will not drift,
then you could tune each station dead on with an RIT-like adjustment of
the oscillator.

I'm thinking the better, potentially workable solution is to just use a
feedback loop (I'd say a Costas loop, but I'm not convinced this is the best
option for AM -- just looking at the DC component of the Q output of the
mixer gets you sin(phi), where phi is the phase difference between your LO
and the incoming RF, which seems better as an error term than the Costas
loop's error term, which is something like I*Q (before low-pass filtering)
and gets you something like m(t)^2*sin(2*phi) and therefore has the
potential to add different DC offsets due to the m(t)^2 term).

What I'm really planning to do is to build a quadrature receiver first and
then see if I can build the feedback loop in software. If not, at least
I'll be able to receive SSB and regular AM -- just not AM IQ binarual
stereo, AM C-QUAM stereo, etc.

---Joel Kolstad