Old January 28th 05, 05:11 AM
George Csahanin

Default Isotron antennas

Howdy y'all.

I had to finally try one. Got a 40meter Isotron, put it up at about 15'. It
does work.

Not sure how well, but it sends and hears. Worked a guiy in Cuba from
Awstin, TX and a K6 on CW. Not the greatest reports.

Anybody else tried them?

Just curious. Please no flames. This was idle curiosity.

GeorgeC
W2DB

Old January 28th 05, 04:15 PM
F8BOE

Hello,

Only for info, a dummy load with 20meters of bad quality RG58 coax cable
works great too! And you can also load the stuff with an LC resonnant
circuit that's smaller than an "isotron" and much cheaper.
Sorry but I couldn't resist... By the way, the miracle antennas only work on
27 MHz.

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

Old January 28th 05, 04:18 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"F8BOE" wrote in message
[...]

I gotta remember that. That's great.
Thanks for the laugh.
73
H.

Old January 28th 05, 10:43 PM
Barnacle Bill

On 2005-01-28, George Csahanin wrote:
Howdy y'all.

I had to finally try one. Got a 40meter Isotron, put it up at about 15'. It
does work.

Not sure how well, but it sends and hears. Worked a guiy in Cuba from
Awstin, TX and a K6 on CW. Not the greatest reports.

Anybody else tried them?

Just curious. Please no flames. This was idle curiosity.

GeorgeC
W2DB

Try this: run a random wire from an antenna tuner up to the
point where the Isotron Dummy Load is. Enjoy.

Or this: Put a line isolator between the coax and the Isotron
Dummy Load so that the braid of the coax doesn't radiate.
Enjoy (snicker).

Barnacle Bill
Old January 28th 05, 10:50 PM
Caveat Lector

22 reviews from owners of the Isotron antennas at URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/311

--
Caveat Lector

Someone wrote

Old January 29th 05, 10:43 AM
F8BOE

Hoy!

Thank's for the very interresting link to the isotron reviews. It's nice to
see that citizen's band 's still living on...
Everyone decided to buy one and was pleased by the SWR... but none of them
seemed concerned about radiation patterns and loss (negative gain?), nor by
the classical "how does it work" question.

No they were all happy to kick 50W power in it to make DX with the guy in
the village nearby... DX begins at your door... But never heard about ground
wave propagation.

Nevermind... As far as everybody's happy, it's all good!

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

RsyKd.3404$5t.454@fed1read07...

Old January 29th 05, 03:51 PM
Buck

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:43:25 +0100, "F8BOE"
wrote:

[...]

When band conditions are excellent, even a dummy load will work. Most
non-amateurs and many amateurs don't understand this. In some cases
if an antenna works at all, it is great. Anything works better than
nothing. However, those of us who experiment with antennas quickly
learn that the throw of a switch will tell us how much better one
antenna is over another.

To some of us, an economical antenna that doesn't attract attention is
better than a more expensive high gain antenna. To some of us, only
the best performance antenna will suffice. A QRPp station can not
afford to have a high loss antenna where as a QROo station can
overcome the losses with power.

--
Buck
N4PGW

Old January 29th 05, 05:19 PM
Caveat Lector

Oh gee all the guy wanted was some opinions which I gave him at
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/311

From here he gets all this ranting about CBers and 50 kW
--
Caveat Lector

Old January 30th 05, 12:49 AM
John Smith

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Oh gee all the guy wanted was some opinions which I gave him at
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/311

From here he gets all this ranting about CBers and 50 kW
--
Caveat Lector

wrote:

Hoy!

Thank's for the very interresting link to the isotron reviews. It's nice
see that citizen's band 's still living on...
Everyone decided to buy one and was pleased by the SWR... but none of
them
seemed concerned about radiation patterns and loss (negative gain?), nor
by
the classical "how does it work" question.

No they were all happy to kick 50W power in it to make DX with the guy
in
the village nearby... DX begins at your door... But never heard about
ground
wave propagation.

Nevermind... As far as everybody's happy, it's all good!

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

That's similar to "Statistics show Xnprtd products work better! (This study
sponsored by Xnprtd products)".

John

Old January 30th 05, 01:24 AM
Caveat Lector

The original poster asked for opinions from those that owned the isotron
antenna -- we gave him that.

Now if he had asked for antenna measurements on an antenna range and
comparisons to other antennas -- that is a different question. And I don't
know where he would have found that answer.

As far as statistics -- fact is 3 out of 10 accidents are caused by drunk
drivers -- thus 7 out of 10 are caused by sober drivers - guess we ought to
get em off the road - huh

--
Caveat Lector

"John Smith" wrote in message

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Oh gee all the guy wanted was some opinions which I gave him at
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/311

From here he gets all this ranting about CBers and 50 kW
--
Caveat Lector

wrote:

[...]

FS: Isotron 40m & 80m antennas Fred Zimring Equipment 30 August 1st 04 09:15 AM
FS: Isotron 40m & 80m antennas Fred Zimring General 14 July 21st 04 05:35 AM
ISOTRON Antennas. GeorgeF Antenna 8 July 18th 04 09:27 AM
FS: Isotron 40m & 80m antennas Fred Zimring Equipment 0 July 14th 04 08:00 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM