Old October 16th 05, 12:17 PM
Buther Boy

Default Wilson 5000 or Wilson 5000 Trucker?

I doubt that I will be able to put up a dipole in my living room, and
I've got just enough room in the corner where my radio is located, so
I am wondering if I can put up one or the other of these antennas. I
have a Wilson 5000, which I sometimes use when I'm mobile, and I'm
able to talk skip with that (which will be my goal in this
application). Any thoughts or ideas on installation? How would I
ground this thing? Wilson 5000 or Wilson 5000 Trucker? I'm still
reading to find out which gets the better results, and that would be
the one I would want.

Thanks.

Buther Boy

--
Remove the word Spam from my e-mail to contact me...
http://www.PrivacySig.com/SIGbutherb...mail-black.png
Old October 16th 05, 12:26 PM
Buther Boy

For the "5000", there are three variations (not including the Wilson
5000 Trucker). Here they a

Roof Top
Trunk Lip
Magnet Mount

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/w5000.htm

Which one (I'm thinking about the magnet mount, but what would I
connect it to), and how would I make this work?

BB

Old October 16th 05, 12:50 PM
Buther Boy

It looks like I may be answering my own question. I need a
counterpoise! I will work this one out, but any tips on creating a
counterpoise would be most appreciated.

Buther Boy

Old October 16th 05, 04:02 PM
GHB

Can you put it in the attic? If so, you could possibly construct a
groundplane to mount the antenna on. A large peice of metal would probably
act like a car body to mount the antenna to. Another possiblility would be
to put the antenna up in the corner as you want with several groundplane
radials (9ft long) running along the floor.

Scorpio

Old October 16th 05, 04:29 PM
Dan

Ok this is easy enough,
take a small aluminum step stool, put a mirror mount on it
and you will work fine.
Or,
put the antenna in the corner, take two eight wires and run them from the
corner along the wall.
The wires go to the shield side of the coax.
Do you need a Wilson ? it is just a shortened 1/4 wave that is not as
efficient.
Can you use a regular 8 ft whip?
You could tilt it out 45 degrees when you operate.
With skip, cross polarization is not a issue.
If you use a dipole that is horizontal it would be best for skip. You would
be 18 dbi down when working other locals that are vertical.
You would get a little gain out of it over the wilson.
If you need to use a tuner, The station on the other end will never know the
difference
Good Luck, Dan

Old October 16th 05, 06:41 PM
Buther Boy

I've gotten great results with the Wilson 5000 while mobile with 100
watts SSB. The dipole would be the best bet, but I don't know how I
can do it. I'm on the bottom floor in the living room, and the attic
is far away. Also, the wall that I would use is about 8 ft. tall and
16-18 feet wide. What would you suggest there?

Buther Boy

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:29:44 -0700, "Dan"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old October 21st 05, 07:53 PM
Junior Member

Hi, follow the yellow brick road for info on counterpoises & stealth antennas!
http://www.sgcworld.com/radialstechnote.html
73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buther Boy