Old September 12th 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Q:Mods to Realistic HTX 202 HT?

On Sunday, January 7, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, J Scott Wilson wrote:
A non-modemed friend has the following query:

I am looking for modification information and procedures for expanded RX
and TX for the Radio Shack Realistic HTX 202 2 meter HT.Does anyone have
or know the location of such information??

I will pass on any replies.

Scott Wilson
406 Lambert Street
Whitehorse YT
Canada Y1A 1Z7
(403) 668-4518 (h)
(403) 668-3736 (fax)

if you send me your e mail i will send you the info you are looking for
my email is thanks hope to here from you
Old September 12th 16, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

On 9/11/2016 7:14 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 7, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, J Scott Wilson wrote:
A non-modemed friend has the following query:

I am looking for modification information and procedures for expanded RX
and TX for the Radio Shack Realistic HTX 202 2 meter HT.Does anyone have
or know the location of such information??

I will pass on any replies.

Scott Wilson
406 Lambert Street
Whitehorse YT
Canada Y1A 1Z7
(403) 668-4518 (h)
(403) 668-3736 (fax)

if you send me your e mail i will send you the info you are looking for
my email is
thanks hope to here from you

I think after 20+ years, he probably isn't looking for the mods any more.

But rather than doing it by email, you should either post the mods here
or upload them to a public site and place the link here. This is a
discussion forum, after all.

Surely mods.dk has it.

I seem to recall discussion here when it was more topical that one of
those Radio Shack 2M walkie talkies couldn't be extended, and it was a
feature since the rig had a narrower front end, less prone to overload.

But I also recall that came up because at the time, someone was claiming
one of them could be extended, so it's not clear if the discussion was
about the other one, or someone had some false mod.

Michael

Old September 12th 16, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 9/11/2016 7:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

Which requires a sign-on to even get read access to the listings.

I seem to recall discussion here when it was more topical that one of
those Radio Shack 2M walkie talkies couldn't be extended, and it was a
feature since the rig had a narrower front end, less prone to overload.

But I also recall that came up because at the time, someone was claiming
one of them could be extended, so it's not clear if the discussion was
about the other one, or someone had some false mod.

Michael

Could be, but I wouldn't expect that to be much of a problem for the
MARS/CAP mods, whose frequencies are just outside of the band.

I don't have one of these radios - but this is a discussion group, after
all, which is why I mentioned it.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old September 12th 16, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 9/11/2016 7:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, but if the radio had no ability to be extended, it's a different case
from those that could be extended by snipping that diode. I got an Icom
02-AT at a garage sale last year, and someone had already done the
modification.

I don't have one of these radios - but this is a discussion group, after
all, which is why I mentioned it.

Sure, I was just discussing.

Michael

Old September 13th 16, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016, wrote:

On Sunday, January 7, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, J Scott Wilson wrote:
A non-modemed friend has the following query:

I am looking for modification information and procedures for expanded RX
and TX for the Radio Shack Realistic HTX 202 2 meter HT.Does anyone have
or know the location of such information??

I will pass on any replies.

Scott Wilson
406 Lambert Street
Whitehorse YT
Canada Y1A 1Z7
(403) 668-4518 (h)
(403) 668-3736 (fax)

if you send me your e mail i will send you the info you are looking for
my email is
thanks hope to here from you

If you'd read the full thread from 20 years ago, you'd have known that
others gave sufficient information.

The 202 does not have a mod for extending the frequency range. Someone
even said that in the thread 20 years ago. Reading elsewhere, Radio Shack
bought the design for the IC-02AT from Icom, but then could do whatever it
wanted, and they worried about out of band use, so they made sure it
couldn't easily be modified.

Apparently there was a change of heart later, beacause the Radio Shack
HXT-212, note "1" instead of the "0", does have diode to snip to allow
wider range,

So either you still buy into the myth that the 202 could be extended, even
two decades later, or you didn't even read the original post properly and
think they are talking about the 212 rather than the 202.

There usually is no good reason to reply to an old thread.

Michael