Old April 30th 15, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default External aerial for 4G+ (LTE Advanced) [Relish.net] Router

On 4/29/2015 7:44 PM, Jim wrote:
On 29/04/2015 23:34, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:28:36 +0100, Jim
wrote:

Firstly sorry if this is OT guys but you do seem the best people to ask.

I'm bored. OT will have to suffice.

The part of London I live in has rubbish ISP speeds (4 mbit) and I have
been offered an old Relish.net router which is a Gemtek WLTFSR-115GN, I
know some of these have external aerial sockets (US ones I think) but
the version I will get does not have any external sockets, so it's a
case of go inside and try to figure out some way of connecting an
external aerial, now the reason I need an external one is I am right on
the edge of their coverage and only get a single bar using just the
router, I do have some images of the inside of the router so I will post
the links for them later, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard
of this being done in the UK?

I once did some experiments with cell phone antenna couplers. Phones
were arriving which did not have a projecting antenna or any easy
method of attaching an external antenna. The trick was to design a
phone base that included some kind of coupler that did not require any
connection or modification to the phone (or the FCC would reject it
for type certification).

The initial design was for 1900 Mhz only, but later mutations covered
both 800 and 1900. In Europe, that would be 1800 and 900 MHz. I
tried patch, loop, resonant loop, slot, cavity backed resonator, along
with various reflectors. All of them were lossy. In the near field,
all acted more like capacitors and xformers than antennas. So, the
executive decision was to use the simplest, easiest, and cheapest,
which was the loop. Second best was a 1/2 dipole, which was
problematic due to its length.

I don't know what frequency your Gemtek WLTFSR-115GN operates on 4G:
http://www.gemtek.com.tw/pro_LTE_WLTFSR.htm
but when you find out, just cut a length of wire 1 wavelength long,
make a loop in almost any shape, and place it as close to the internal
antenna as possible. The impedance will be about 100 ohms, so use 75
ohm CATV coax (RG-6/u) to the antenna. Never mind the mismatch at
both the antenna and the loop. It's not worth the hassle matching it.
You'll need to move the loop around the case to find the best pickup
point. When you find it, tape it in place.

I'm not sure what to recommend for the outside antenna. Much depends
on the frequency of operation. In the US, most of the 4G stuff is
moving to 700 MHz, leaving 800/1900 for voice and 3G data. Therefore,
a single band 700 MHz antenna would be required for the US. No clue
for the UK (and I'm too lazy to look it up). If it is single band, a
simple patch antenna will get you about 8dBi gain. If you want more,
look into yagi, corner reflector, or dish antennas. I'm partial to
AMOS/Franklin antennas, but if your UK 4G system uses polarization
based spatial diversity for MIMO, a single linear polarized antenna
will limit your maximum download speed. This is probably more than
you want to deal with, so I suggest starting with a simple 1/2 wave
dipole and escalate as needed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking into it a bit more and it
seems they use 124Mhz in the LTE bands of 43 and 43 which is about
3.5GHz and 3.6GHz

If you're talking LTE, that is different than WiFi. One will not work
on the other.

There are cell phone boosters which are legal in the United States (we
sell come ourselves), which will extend your range. But I don't know
which ones are legal in the U.K.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old May 3rd 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I have been looking into it a bit more and it
seems they use 124Mhz in the LTE bands of 43 and 43 which is about
3.5GHz and 3.6GHz

That's a dead or dying WiMax band. Plenty of antennas on eBay, starting
at $10.

Geoff.

Old March 31st 16, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 9:28:56 PM UTC+1, Jim wrote:
Firstly sorry if this is OT guys but you do seem the best people to ask.

The part of London I live in has rubbish ISP speeds (4 mbit) and I have
been offered an old Relish.net router which is a Gemtek WLTFSR-115GN, I
know some of these have external aerial sockets (US ones I think) but
the version I will get does not have any external sockets, so it's a
case of go inside and try to figure out some way of connecting an
external aerial, now the reason I need an external one is I am right on
the edge of their coverage and only get a single bar using just the
router, I do have some images of the inside of the router so I will post
the links for them later, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard
of this being done in the UK?

TIA

Hey @Jim,
A year went by and I'm in the very same situation as you were a year ago ðŸ˜
Been browsing through eBay but can't decide which antenna would be suitable to connect to the Relish Gemtek router. Did you find any good? Also, did you connect a separate antenna for each connector aka two antennas?

Thanks
Old April 21st 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Monday, 27 April 2015 21:28:56 UTC+1, Jim wrote:
Firstly sorry if this is OT guys but you do seem the best people to ask.

The part of London I live in has rubbish ISP speeds (4 mbit) and I have
been offered an old Relish.net router which is a Gemtek WLTFSR-115GN, I
know some of these have external aerial sockets (US ones I think) but
the version I will get does not have any external sockets, so it's a
case of go inside and try to figure out some way of connecting an
external aerial, now the reason I need an external one is I am right on
the edge of their coverage and only get a single bar using just the
router, I do have some images of the inside of the router so I will post
the links for them later, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard
of this being done in the UK?

TIA

Hi, I don't think installing an antenna to gain better signal is illegal, but for those mobile signal booster which repeat the mobile signal that was original in the air. because we don't have the permission to re broadcast the signal in that particular frequency. For you properly just wanted to receive better signal not rebroadcasting it. By the way i am a relish customer as well and i did the mod that you wanted and working perfectly fine. I am guessing you are no longer using relish as you got 1 bar of signal you must getting a lot of disconnection.

By the way, for the coax cable you need RG58/u( you should be able to get it in maplin). For the antenna, geoffery is right it is basically a wimax antenna but you see this modem is a 2x2 mimo system, you need two antennas or a 2x2 mimo antenna. I would suggest a 2x2 mimo directional patch antenna(3300mhz-3800mhz). For the connection, you need a ufl to sma or rpsma connection, I reckon you know it(or google it.)

I am currently using http://www.acantenna.com/pro_view/&productId=905.html and it is working great. they took five days to make and 2 days to UK using DHL express. Enjoy. I got 75mbps dl sometime, weird. Don't try to get too high gain unless you are able to put it up on the top of your building.
Old April 21st 16, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 17:59:53 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

There is also a way to identified estimate the location of the mast you connecting not sure if it is right but. Basically you check the lat long of your ipaddress then plot it in google then you will get a spot on google maps and point your antenna to that direction. It works for me.

Old January 1st 17, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 31/03/2016 19:33, Airpoint wrote:
[...]

Rising from the dead this one.

No i didn't use the Gemtek router and hack it with an external antenna,
one reason was the legal side.
In the end i bought a Huawei CPE B222s and it's outdoor antenna for just
over £50, you have to understand i'm very green with this issue but from
my understanding, i just throw the antenna up and plug in the SIM card
to it as well as a CAT5 cable and that will feed into the router and
away you go, I still need to buy the pole it will be mounted to and a
few other bits but it "should" be simple, I have no idea where you are
based but local to me a fair bit of work is being done but nothing for
me for at least 12 months so took the leap to buy new hardware.
I did have a link for someone who had done the mod to the Relish router
and fitted an external antenna, i will try to dig it up for you, also
there is a 3 old relish routers for sale on ebay right now so maybe grab
a cheap to play with as i presume the relish router you get with them
will remain their property

Jim
Old January 2nd 17, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 4/21/2016 1:19 PM, wrote:
[...]

How do you get a lat long for your IP? The only info I can find points
to my Internet provider rather than myself. Some of the locations
provided are hundreds of miles from here.

--

Rick C
Old January 3rd 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 14:11:27 -0500, rickman wrote:

How do you get a lat long for your IP? The only info I can find points
to my Internet provider rather than myself. Some of the locations
provided are hundreds of miles from here.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation-providers
See the user reported accuracy chart near the bottom of the page.
Notice that about 15% of those reporting show locations 1000+ km off.
From my house, I show some obscure location in the hills about 15
miles away. From my office, about 6 miles off. If you're using
satellite internet (Exede, HughesNet, etc), give up now, the
geolocation software often returns non-routeable IP's or the location
of the ground station or gateway. Basically, IP location is useless
unless augmented with GPS and a decent location database.

I have no experience with 4G+ yet, so I have no clue how that works.
However, if you know the tower ID and it's location, you can at least
determine the general area.
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3760/63/
Crowd-sourced location databases are not perfect, but sometimes work
as long as users are not contributing intentionally erronious data.

Mo
http://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation-accuracy

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Can a router be a router and an access point at the same time? Jesse[_3_] Antenna 3 August 9th 13 04:44 AM
Ethernet Router RFI Jim Leder Equipment 14 December 28th 06 05:16 AM
router question snow Shortwave 7 January 30th 05 05:22 AM
Wireless Router EMI Richard F. Gillette P.E., (W9PE) Homebrew 8 July 29th 03 04:25 AM
Wireless Router EMI Richard F. Gillette P.E., (W9PE) Homebrew 0 July 28th 03 02:41 PM