Old May 26th 16, 09:01 PM
Junior Member

Exclamation Programming Old Regency Scanners OY-OF-BAND

Hi Folks, Long time scanner enthusiast from Canada returning to the hobby at 75!

Just resurrected two of my old favourite Regency sets, the Turbo Scan 800 TS2 and the R1075. and they still work fine - for vintage equipment.

The R1075 has limited frequency coverage but I vaguely recalled an old trick from the 1980s and tried it. Putting the R1075 on the desired channel and then pressing IN SEQUENCE: MANUAL, 9, CLEAR, ENTER will allow frequencies below the band threshhold to be entered.

In UHF I have been able to program right down to 400.0000mhz and to 140.0000 mhz in VHF. Still trying to get it lower on VHF as I know it can be done, although this seems to be a matter of luck from set to set.

Just thought I'd share the above with anyone who may still have old Regency sets - this works with a number of different models - in varying degrees.

Of interest to anyone who may recall the old analogue cell phone frequency fuss, the Regency TS2 was one of the last sets produced before the coverage ban took effect!

Last edited by Tembo : May 26th 16 at 09:04 PM
Old July 15th 16, 10:29 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tembo View Post
[...]

Today, you can purchase a Beofung or Woushun handi talkie that can be programmed to not only monitor, but also transmit on most any frequency from 110 Mhz to 480 Mhz, and they even have ones that will operate on 6 meters.

Although your scanners were more than adequate - back in the day, today, technology has advanced to the point of where an analog scanner is almost obsolete. In a few years, the only thing that will still be analog might be the local fire department - since volunteer fire companies cannot afford to buy all new digital radios and supply one to every volunteer fireman. It just makes more sense to just leave it analog for now and let the firemen use programmable scanners to receive their fire calls. And, amateur radio.

The reason for going digital is to fit more information into the same amount of bandwidth. The voice is now second fiddle to the text and data.

Amateur radio - has nothing but bandwidth.
I am very surprised that the US Government has not taken bandwidth away from the amateurs - just due to the fact that it is under utilized.

This is probably the only reason why most amateurs puts up with the prattle of the dead found on most amateur radio repeaters today.

I have 5 transceivers and about the same number of scanners, and yet I hardly ever even turn on my UHF or VHF radios anymore.
It sickens me to listen to what is being said on the repeaters and the intelligence level of amateurs today.

IN my honest opinion, UHF and VHF repeaters are a waste of time and should be outlawed. Most conversations takes place between two LIDS, both are line of sight of each other, yet only owns a handheld and refuses to talk simplex - like the repeater somehow makes their conversation better!
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...