Old July 9th 03, 12:53 AM
Alun Palmer

Default HB9 First to Kill the Code Test!

Switzerland has abolished code testing. They have mailed out a letter to
each Class 2 (no-code) ham authorising them to use all HF bands.
Old July 9th 03, 01:37 AM
Phil Kane

On 8 Jul 2003 23:53:12 GMT, Alun Palmer wrote:

Switzerland has abolished code testing. They have mailed out a letter to
each Class 2 (no-code) ham authorising them to use all HF bands.

That's what happens when you don't have to have non-technical
politicians ratify a technical treaty and then send it to an
agency/department for ministerial action.

No doubt they were ready to go even before the WRC began.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old July 9th 03, 04:47 PM
Dick Carroll

Alun Palmer wrote:

Switzerland has abolished code testing. They have mailed out a letter to
each Class 2 (no-code) ham authorising them to use all HF bands.

Both of them??

Old July 9th 03, 07:23 PM
Alun Palmer

Dick Carroll wrote in :

Alun Palmer wrote:

Switzerland has abolished code testing. They have mailed out a letter

each Class 2 (no-code) ham authorising them to use all HF bands.

Both of them??

I've done some homework on this. There are something like 4,800 Swiss
hams, about half and half Class 1 (HB9+2 letters) and Class 2 (HB9+3
letters), excepting only about 70 or 80 (!) Class 3 (HB3). I thought at
first that we would hear a new prefix, but the few HB3s will continue to
have only 2m/70cm. In fact there are about a couple of thousand Class 2
Swiss no-coders now unleashed on HF with longer HB9 + 3 letter calls.

Switzerland is only the beginning. In a couple of weeks time you can look
forward to hearing UK no-coders on HF with G1, G6, G7, G8 and M1 calls.
Those are just the ones with full privileges. There will be 2E1s with
Intermediate licences to join the existing 2E0s as well (there are at
least four times as many 2E1s as there are 2E0s). There are probably
about 40,000 UK no-coders.

And it won't stop there.

Old July 9th 03, 09:55 PM
Bill Sohl

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message
Dick Carroll wrote in :

Alun Palmer wrote:

[...]

Is that an expression of concern? Or simply a statement
of fact?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old July 9th 03, 11:23 PM
Tobias

Just because they are B licences does not mean they don't use CW. I use CW
and I'm G6 and used it on 2m 70cm and 6m. Cw will NEVER die !.

Old July 10th 03, 01:59 AM
Mike Coslo

Alun Palmer wrote:

More like gloating over the losers in this debate, I'm afraid!

Yup, I kinda noticed that. I wasn't going to say anything but now that
you bring it up, you aren't much of a good "winner", are you?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 10th 03, 04:32 AM
Alun Palmer

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:

More like gloating over the losers in this debate, I'm afraid!

Yup, I kinda noticed that. I wasn't going to say anything but now
that
you bring it up, you aren't much of a good "winner", are you?

- Mike KB3EIA -

It comes from dealing with the ranting of Larry Roll and the like

6m qrp all mode Alex Homebrew 35 July 17th 04 05:03 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1360– September 5 2003 Radionews Dx 0 September 6th 03 09:08 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1360– September 5 2003 Radionews Dx 0 September 6th 03 09:08 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1360– September 5 2003 Radionews Dx 0 September 6th 03 09:08 AM
Latest News - Morse Code Test May Not "Die" at ITU Conference. Ryan, KC8PMX Policy 90 July 11th 03 03:49 AM