Old September 13th 03, 05:47 PM
Joe

Default WABC NYC (Warbling noise)

For the past 2 months WABC in NYC at night has some kind of ANNOYING
warbling 200-400 hz "warble" under it.
Its visable on both sides of the center frequencey and cant be knocked out
with offset tuning with a narrow filter

Equipment R-390, Drake R-7
Antenna homebrew 6 foot shielded loop, balun

-Joe (NOSPAM)

Old September 13th 03, 08:49 PM
Jay

Joe,

I don't know where you are located, but here in CT (about 120 miles north of
NYC, I often get a music station right under WABC. I've usually heard oldies
but never listened long enough to get an id, but it must be on 770 as well.

Jay

Old September 13th 03, 09:24 PM
Joe

Here what it sound like (the best way I can describe it)
I remember my grandfathers old 54 Pontiac Chief engine with the wipers
running, don't laugh to hard:
RRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRgwe (the patterns do shuffle
a bit but in the same time constant)

Its repetitive, has equal signal in each side of 770 kHz, (and only on 770
wee hours) if its another station off frequency 400hz offset tuning or even
listening in SSB mods cant knock it out.
sounds like some kind of pilot signal
Im in the Long Island across from City Island

-Joe (nospam)

Old September 13th 03, 11:59 PM
Frank Dresser

"Joe" wrote in message
Here what it sound like (the best way I can describe it)
I remember my grandfathers old 54 Pontiac Chief engine with the wipers
running, don't laugh to hard:
RRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRgwe (the patterns do

shuffle
a bit but in the same time constant)

Its repetitive, has equal signal in each side of 770 kHz, (and only on

770
wee hours) if its another station off frequency 400hz offset tuning or

even
listening in SSB mods cant knock it out.
sounds like some kind of pilot signal
Im in the Long Island across from City Island

-Joe (nospam)

Could it be a harmonic? Have you checked at 1/2, 1/3 of 770 etc.?

Frank Dresser

Old September 14th 03, 12:07 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , RFCOMMSYS
writes
writes ---

Here what it sound like (the best way I can describe it)
I remember my grandfathers old 54 Pontiac Chief engine with the wipers
running, don't laugh to hard:
RRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRRgweeRRRRRRRRg we (the patterns do shuffle
a bit but in the same time constant)

Its repetitive, has equal signal in each side of 770 kHz, (and only on 770
wee hours) if its another station off frequency 400hz offset tuning or even
listening in SSB mods cant knock it out.
sounds like some kind of pilot signal
Im in the Long Island across from City Island

-Joe (nospam)

I bet it's a digital curcuit in a household appliance. DSL modem, clock, VCR,
computer, etc. Maybe a neighbor's.

I found similar interference coming from my fax machine. The display
alternates between "Stand-by" and "Date+Time" every 2 or 3 seconds.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell