Old January 30th 04, 11:02 AM
Radionews

Default AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE™ ANNOUNCES CREATION OF THE ROY NEAL, K6DUE, AMATEUR RADIO MENTORING PROJECT

THE AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE
(A Federal 501(c)(3) Non Profit Corporation)
Editorial Office - 28197 Robin Avenue
Santa Clarita California
Tel: (661) 296-7180
E-Mail:
on the web at:
www.arnewsline.org

Press Release

For more information please contact Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF
)

AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE™ ANNOUNCES CREATION OF THE ROY NEAL, K6DUE, AMATEUR
RADIO MENTORING PROJECT

January 15, 2004 (Los Angeles California) The Amateur Radio Newsline Inc., a
Federally chartered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation has today announced
the creation of the “Roy Neal, K6DUE, Amateur Radio Mentoring Project.”
This is a program designed to take newly licensed radio amateurs and place them
one-on-one with veteran hams so that they may learn the traditions and
operating skills that no classroom or home-study environment can teach.

Roy Neal, K6DUE, was a driving force within the structure of Amateur Radio
Newsline. He passed away on Friday, August 15, 2003 from complications arising
from heart valve replacement surgery a few days earlier.

In addition to serving as Amateur Radio Newsline's Vice President, he was also
our teacher, advisor and friend. Those of us who had the honor of knowing Roy
were keenly aware of his willingness to help anyone better themselves. He was
always willing to share his lifetime of knowledge in many areas including
science, space exploration and Amateur Radio. With this in mind the Amateur
Radio Newsline Board of Directors at its annual meeting on December 13, 2003
voted unanimously to honor Roy’s memory by creating a program to carry on his
vision.

What we have named “The Roy Neal, K6DUE, Amateur Radio Mentoring Project”
is loosely based on a similar program created by Broadway performer Ann
Reinking. Reinking was a student of and performer with the legendary
choreographer/director Bob Fosse. She is now carrying on the “mentoring”
tradition in the art of dance through her own educational foundation, the
Broadway Theater Project. This is a Florida based training program connecting
students with seasoned theater professionals. If we may quote Ms. Reinking:

“Its sort of an un-written law or rule in the world of dance that you pass on
what you know. This particular craft is at its best when its passed from one
person's hands to the next.”

Now, if you think about it, what Ann Reinking says about "dance" applies
equally to our world of Amateur Radio. Maybe more so, because, for decades the
knowledge and tradition of our hobby/service was passed down from seasoned
operators to newcomers, one to one. Unfortunately, in the ham radio of today,
this art of mentoring that we call "Elmering" seems to be disappearing. It is
being replaced by "weekend cram class training" and/or the more tedious world
of “home study.” Both provide lots of technologically trained hams, but
they do not turn out skilled operators or hams who really appreciate the art of
amateur radio. Only one-on-one “mentoring” or “Elmering” can do that.

“The Roy Neal, K6DUE, Amateur Radio Mentoring Project” is to be a similarly
structured program that fosters those one-on-one relationships that go well
beyond the knowledge necessary to pass a ham radio exam. It will put an
emphasis on our traditional ham radio values by placing new hams into contact
with skilled operators who are willing to teach them such radio art-forms as
how to work DX, or run a contest, build and operate a repeater, talk by
bouncing signals off the moon, kit construction and anything else that makes a
ham a ham. In essence, to pass along the living traditions that make ham radio
what it is to all of us old timers.

To make this work, two groups of hams are needed. First we need skilled
operators who are willing to donate time to assist those in need of training.
We also need new hams to come forward and say: “I want to learn more.” We
will do our part by matching the mentors to those in need of Elmering.

To get the project underway we have asked Joe Eisenberg, K0NEB, to create the
necessary databases and begin the process of matching volunteer mentors to
those wishing instruction. We are also asking both groups to send us an e-mail
at . In your note please state if you are offering to be
a mentor or are in need of training. Please include your name, call, address,
e-mail address with zipcode, phone number, best time of day to call and any
other pertinent information.

It is our hope that the nation's Amateur Radio community will join with us to
make "The Roy Neal, K6DUE, Amateur Radio Mentoring Project" a part of the
traditions of the hobby, and that it will become a lasting memorial to the
radio amateur who gave so much of his life to making Amateur Radio the best
hobby and service in the universe.
..

-30-