Old September 25th 04, 09:00 AM
Riz

Default POLL: ICF-2010 or ICF-7600GR

Hi,

Suppose you are deeply interested in DXing/SWLing then which receiver
would you choose:

- ICF-2010
- ICF-7600GR
- Other (Please specify. Range is 350 USD)

Please drop couple of lines to describe why you prefer one on another.

Regards,

Riz
Old September 25th 04, 11:37 AM
David

2010 by a mile. That is if I had the extra money it costs over the 7600GR.
More sensitive than the 7600. The 2010 has a long standing reputation.
om...

Old September 25th 04, 04:40 PM
Dale

As far as 2010's...
I'm not opposed to buying a used radio but would prefer a new one in the box
if possible.
Is there some secret supply of 2010's that I don't know about? I did see a
2010 new in the box on Ebay the other day but have no idea what it
eventually sold for. I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

The Sony 7600 seems to be a good buy (and affordable) and recommended by
Passport to Worldband Radio as well as a lot of SW listeners although only
marginally higher rated than the Sangean 909. The 909 is more money but has
more features. Beware there are people on here that will tell you that Sony
is the only choice but it isn't. If you're really serious and expect this to
be more than a passing interest, I would look to expand your budget a bit.
If portability and price are an issue, the 7600 might be a good choice.

I have the I have an Icom 718 (Ham Rig)
Realistic DX-398 Same as Sangean ATS-909
A GE Super Radio III (For AM use Only)
Yaesu VX5

Below is some useful information off of the Neatherlands website
http://www.rnw.nl/
I hope this helps you.
Grundig Yacht Boy 360 portable 5 $136
Sony ICF-SW7600GR portable 5 $170
Grundig Yacht Boy 400 portable 5 $200
Sangean ATS-909 portable 5 $230

Ten-Tec RX-320 table-top 5 $295
Sony ICF-2001D/ ICF-2010 portable 5 $350
Lowe HF-150 table-top 5 $520
AOR AOR 7030 table-top 5 $1,150
Drake R8B table-top 5 $1,160
AOR AOR 7030 Plus table-top 5 $1,300
Kneisner and Doering KWZ-30 table-top 5 $1,950
Watkins-Johnson HF-1000 table-top 5 $3,800
ICOM IC-R9000 table-top 5 $6,200

Sony ICF-SW11 portable 4 $50
Sony ICF-SW600 portable 4 $50
Sony ICF-XR-C5100 table-top 4 $112
Philips AE-3750 portable 4 $125
Grundig Yacht Boy 305 portable 4 $130
Sangean ATS-505 portable 4 $130
Sony ICF-SW40 portable 4 $130
Sangean ATS-818 portable 4 $180
Sony ICF-SW100 portable 4 $360
Sony ICF-SW77 portable 4 $475
Sony ICF-SW07 portable 4 $498
Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium desktop 4 $500
Sony ICF-SW1000T portable 4 $540
Yaesu FRG-100B table-top 4 $550
ICOM IC-R75 table-top 4 $780
Lowe HF-250 table-top 4 $1,180

Sangean SG-711L portable 3 $40
Grundig Yacht Boy 207 portable 3 $50
Philips AE-3350 portable 3 $60
Grundig Yacht Boy 320 portable 3 $70
Philips AE-3650 portable 3 $70
Sangean ATS-808 portable 3 $120
Sangean ATS-606 portable 3 $160
AKD Target HF3 table-top 3 $250
Grundig Yacht Boy 500 portable 3 $299
Drake SW8 table-top 3 $780

Sangean SG-789A portable 2 $45
Radio Shack DX-397 portable 2 $60
Radio Shack DX-396 portable 2 $70
Freeplay Global Shortwave portable 2 $100
Grundig P 2000 portable 2 $150
Yaesu VR-500 portable 2 $305
Hitachi WKH-WS1 Worldspace portable 2 $406

Sangean ATS-303 portable 1 $90
Sony ICF-SW12 portable 1 $100
ICOM IC-R1 portable 1 $550
ICOM IC-R100 portable 1 $700

Japan Radio Company NRD-371 table-top 0 $0
Sangean ATS-404 portable 0 $90
Grundig Yacht Boy 217 portable 0 $120
Radio Shack DX-399 portable 0 $150
Lowe SRX-100 table-top 0 $260
Rosetta Laboratories WR-1000 table-top 0 $400
Rosetta Laboratories WR-1500 table-top 0 $500
NASA HF-5E table-top 0 $530
ICOM IC-R10 portable 0 $600
Palstar R30 table-top 0 $600
Japan Radio Company NRD-545 table-top 0 $1,800
Rosetta Laboratories WR-3000 table-top 0 $1,900
AOR AOR 5000 table-top 0 $2,000
ICOM IC-R8500 table-top 0 $2,000
ICOM IC-PCR1000 table-top 0 $400
Ten-Tec RX-340 table-top 0 $4,000

Suppose you are deeply interested in DXing/SWLing then which receiver
would you choose:

- ICF-2010
- ICF-7600GR
- Other (Please specify. Range is 350 USD)

Please drop couple of lines to describe why you prefer one on another.

The 2010. Why?

1. More sensitive.
2. Better frequency resolution.
3. Easier to store and recall memories.
4. Lower noise floor.

But my 7600G is petty good:

1. Better SSB resolution.
2. Smaller, more portable.
3. Works well with Sony ANLP1 antenna.
4. More robust, less likely to need repair.

Still, the 2010 is one of the best DX portables around. If I could only

have
ONE receiver, it would probably be a new 2010 with KIWA filters.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A,
Degen 1102, Degen 1103, GE SRll,
Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nospam" to reply)

"Michael Bryant" wrote in message
From:
(Riz)

Old September 26th 04, 07:49 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Riz schrieb:

Hi,

Suppose you are deeply interested in DXing/SWLing then which receiver
would you choose:

- ICF-2010
- ICF-7600GR
- Other (Please specify. Range is 350 USD)

Other. This kind of money should buy you an older, but still nice
tabletop on the used market. (Yes, you'll need a decent antenna for
that.) Maybe an FRG-100 (the newer one with the better AM filters should
be preferred by a large margin for AM work), or possibly an R-8. I don't
know whether a Kenwood R-5000 or AOR AR3030 is to be had in this price
range.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W