Old March 1st 04, 12:00 AM
Jim B

Default LongWire Antenna

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
news:eEt0c.442873$na.1062671@attbi_s04...
I have a long wire antenna that goes in somewhat of a C shape around the
fence in the backyard. I was wondering how others are physically

connecting
these types of antennas to their radio? Do you use a balun? I have a
Grundig Satellit 800, which physical input connection do you use?

I upgraded from the DX398 to the Satellit 800 in December and have been
somewhat disappointed in the reception.
I will monitor this group and when someone posts a pirate on 6925 or
whatever frequency I will tune and find a lot of N O T H I N G?

I am in the Dallas area and for example WWV on the best frequency is

rarely
about S1? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and thanks!

Jim Douglas
http:\\www.genesis-software.com

Latitude 32.5818
Longitude -96.5412
Elevation 497

Hi Jim

I've been able to get the pirates, the Coast Guard drama last night, and
other things mentioned on this newsgroup with my Satellit 800 here in
Gloucester, Massachusetts. I understand that the further west you are the
more difficult it may be.

I usually only use the whip on the 800. If I need to reach out a little more
I have 50' of insulated wire with an alligator clip on the end. I just put
the clip on the whip and toss the wire haphazardly about the room in winter
or toss it out the window in the summer. With this setup I can pull in more
than enough signals to keep me busy.

Hood luck,
Jim Barber
42°38'57"N

70°40'26"W

10 feet above sea level

Old March 1st 04, 12:48 AM
Ron G

Could it be that you have secured the antenna wire closely to the (grounded)
metal of a chain link fence?

It seems like that would be "close coupling" to a grounded, long fence.

It seems that may kill any signal "gain"?

Best-----
Ron

[...]

---

Old March 1st 04, 01:37 AM
Diverd4777

In article , "Ron G" writes:

Could it be that you have secured the antenna wire closely to the (grounded)
metal of a chain link fence?

my thoughts exactly...

Old March 1st 04, 11:58 AM
RHF

JD,

Some Pirate Radio Stations have low power signals and limited
antennas that allow them to be only listenable in certain 'local'
or Regional Areas of the country and may not be able to be heard
at your location. (Power and Propagation)

The "C" Shaped 'On-the-Fence' Antenna is a practical and good
[Hidden] SWL Antenna.
The "C" Shaped 'On-the-Fence' Antenna:
(Mounted on the Top of the Fence.)
First - Start at a Corner/End of the Fence near Ground Level.
(Locate your Grounding Point = Grond Rod and Wire Here.)
* Side/Section One = Up-and-Out
* Side/Section Two = Turn-Across
* Side/Section Three = Turn-In

NOTE: This can be made into a Double "C" 'On-the-Fence' Antenna:
(Continued Back on the Bottom of the Fence with 3-5Ft Separation
between the Top and Bottom Sections of the Antenna Element.)
* Side/Section Four = Down-and-Back-Out
* Side/Section Five = Turn-Back-Across
* Side/Section Six = Turn-Back-In

TIP: One of the Most Important common TV Antenna Parts for use
in Building an On-the-Fence Antenna by the Do-It-Yourself-er is
the TV "Stand-Offs" with Plastic Insulator Head and 3.5" Wood
Screw base hardware. RadioShack Catalog #15-853 (4 Pack)
[ If you have a 'metal' type Fence these are very important. ]
Using these Stand-Offs will improve the On-the-Fence Antenna's
All-Weather-Performace.

FWIW: This Six Section Top-and-Bottom 'On-the-Fence' Antenna can
be connected as a Loop Antenna with each end connected to the Balun.

SO-239 JACK: For the Best Signal and Lowest Noise it is better
to use Coax Cable from your Antenna Element to your Grundig
Satellit 800 M and use the SO-239 Jack on the back of the radio.

NOTE: Make sure that the WHIP Antenna 'Pre-Amplifier Switch is
set in the 50 Ohm (SO-239) Position when using an External
Antenna 'connected' to the SO-239 Jack.

ADAPTER - "F" to SO-239 Jack: If you use TV 75 Ohm Coax Cable
with "F" Connectors on each end as your Lead-in-Line from your
Antenna Element. RadioShack sells a "F" to SO-239 'Adapter'
Catalog # 278-258C. This will allow your to connect the 75 Ohm
Coax Cable via the Adapter directly to the GS800M Radio.

SOME "ON-THE-FENCE" ANTENNA READING:

* On-the-Fence:
A (Hidden) Random Wire Antenna + Landscaping Lighting Cable
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/182

* Simple SWL Antenna:
Improved Random Wire Antenna using TV Antenna Parts
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/740
This Message has a List of 'common' TV Antenna Parts that can
be used along with Landscaping Lighting Cable to build a
Low Noise SWL Antenna that can be installed on your Fence.

* Field Antenna and Ground:
Describes "How To" Hook-Up the Antenna Wire Element;
the Balun; Grounding Point; Coax Cable Lead-in-Line; and the
Connection to the Radio.

* Another [Hidden] "On-the-Fence" Random Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/411
Describes "How To" make a 'folded' On-the-Fence' Antenna.

* Above-the-Fence Field SWL Antenna for a Field Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/417
The basic Antenna design used for this Field Antenna can be
adapted to many individual situations including your Vertical
"Up-and-Down" the Tree Loop Antenna.

GROUND: ALL of the above Antennas 'feature' a Grounding Point
at the Fence; where the Antenna Element and the Coax Cable
Connection is made using a Balun.

* Antenna Options for the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/486
..
..
REMEMBER: "The Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% of the . . .
Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and beyond, The Beyond !
..
..

= = = "Jim Douglas"
= = = wrote in message news:eEt0c.442873$na.1062671@attbi_s04...

I have a long wire antenna that goes in somewhat of a C shape
around the fence in the backyard.

=R= I have a "C" Shaped On-the-Fence Antenna and it works quite well.
..
..
I was wondering how others are physically connecting these
types of antennas to their radio?

=R= For this On-the-Fence Antenna, I use TV 75 Ohm Coax Cable
with "F" Connectors on the Ends. At the Grundig Satellite 800 M,
I use an "F" to SO-239 Adapter (RadioShack Catalog # 278-258C)
..
..
Do you use a Balun ?

=R= Yes - I use a Balun at the "Junction" of the Antenna Element
and the Coax Cable with a Grounding Point. This "Junction" is
at the base of the Fence near Ground Level.

= I have a Grundig Satellit 800, which physical input connection
= do you use?

=R= For the Best Signal and Lowest Noise it is better to use
Coax Cable from your Antenna Element to your Grundig Satellit 800
and use the So-239 Jack on the back of the radio.

NOTE: Make sure that the WHIP Antenna 'Pre-Amplifier Switch is
set in the 50 Ohm (SO-239) Position when using an External
Antenna 'connected' to the SO-239 Jack.
..
..
I upgraded from the DX-398 to the Satellit 800 in December and
have been somewhat disappointed in the reception.

=R= Make sure that the WHIP Antenna 'Pre-Amplifier Switch is
set in the 50 Ohm (SO-239) Position when using an External
Antenna 'connected' to the SO-239 Jack.
..
..
I will monitor this group and when someone posts a pirate on 6925
or whatever frequency I will tune and find a lot of N O T H I N G?

=R= Some Pirate Radio Stations have low power signals and limited

Old March 2nd 04, 10:36 AM
Bubba

If your best WWV reception is S1 in Dallas and you've been at it for more
than a few days then there is something wrong with your receiver.

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
[...]

.
.